Reload this Page >

"Upgrading" to Windows 64

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-27-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a laptop that I purchases with XP pro, but it has a AMD Turion 64 processor.

Would there be any benefit to upgrading, or at this point would it be more money/hassle than it would be worth.

I used the laptop for some engineering programs, but I don't believe it would be anything too taxing, and don't really use it for games at all.

I was jsut wondering if benefits would exist for me.
Old 10-27-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i'd say pass on it. if you don't have any 64 bits app that you run primarily ... no need to go through the headache..

haven't heard anything really good about winxp64 bit
Old 10-27-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what software other than some game and enterprise software is written for 64 bits?
Old 10-27-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minesweeper 64?
Old 10-28-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently running here on XP64-bit and have only had one major problem - my soundcard doesn't work. Just bought a new X-Fi XtremeMusic and Creative doesn't have 64-bit drivers yet (though they say Q4 2005).

I just wanted to try 64-bit to play around with it and it performs quite well - no problems at all with games, just the soundcard issue (so stuck with crappy on-board for the time being). Of course, you can get an Audigy 4 that has drivers available.

If you want to just putz around with it, feel free. I'd just be wary of installing it on a notebook - even though it's a 64 bit processor (I've got one too - a Turion) - I wouldn't bet on every piece of hardware working flawlessly with 64-bit edition.
Old 10-29-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I read some other forums where people were switching and looking for drivers, I was just wondering about the benefit, which for me seems like none. Thanks for the input.