Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Remote support behind hardware firewall/router?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-21-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I am tired of spending countless hours on the phone with my parents trying to help them perform simple tasks on the computer. It would be extremely simple and time saving if I simply setup remote support via netmeeting to walk them through whatever they need.

We are both using Cable modems and have a Linksys router which functions as a firewall. Since both computers use internet sharing, the computer thinks the ip address is 192.168.x.x. I tried having my parents dial my true IP address 65.235xx.x, however, netmeeting says the receiver cannot accept calls.

Where does the problem lie? I'm assuming I have to configure port forwarding on my wireless router? I am unclear how to do this or if I am on the right path.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i've not tried netmeeting behind a firewall. i use ultravnc. free program that allows desktop interface. you forward 2 ports in the clients router to their ip address (i use 5800 and 5900). you can connect with a client or via the web. easy to set up and works great.
Old 10-21-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UltraVNC is great and is what I use. You definitely need to forward ports as mentioned above. If you both have XP Pro you can use Remote Desktop as well (port 3389), though that will lock out the user on the host machine.
Old 10-22-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tried port forwarding 3389 and tried to remote desktop via XP and it didn't connect. How exactly do i set this linksys router up for port fowarding - there is a port range so I just put 3389 for both fields, not sure if that's correct. see screen shot. also, do i need to setup port forwarding for BOTH routers or just mine since i'm receiving the request?

Old 10-22-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to set up port forwarding on your parent's machine/router if you are connecting to their's from yours (you will initiate the Remote Desktop connection to control their PC). Your config screenshot is correct, assuming that their local machine's internal IP is fixed at 192.168.1.127 and won't change with DHCP. Do they have Zone Alarm or another third party software firewall on their machine? If so, you'll have to turn them off or configure port routing on them as well. If they have The Windows XP firewall on, it should allow passage automatically for Remote Desktop when you turn it on, but you may want to double check the exceptions tab just in case. Do you parents have XP Pro? XP Home doesn't have Remote Desktop capabilities, just Remote Assistance which is basically the same thing, but you have to jump through hoops with invites etc. and still have to configure port forwarding.