Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

ZoneAlarm Update 6.0.whatever it is..

Old 09-20-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

ZoneAlarm Update 6.0.whatever it is..

Has anyone updated yet? Any issues? I've been waiting to see if anyone has issues with it.
Old 09-20-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sucks big time. Did for me, anyhow. Am not using it, or any shitty ZL software any more.

This is a product that has gotten worse with each release since I've been using it.
Old 09-20-05, 08:46 PM

I would also like to know of any more experiences with ZA 6 something. Still using 5.5.094.
Old 09-21-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm using ZoneAlarm (free version) 6.0.667.000 and I haven't seen any problems so far.
Old 09-21-05, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk God

There was a thread here a while back warning people not to upgrade.
Old 09-21-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Disasterous upgrade. After I upgraded I was unable to send or receive e-mails, regardless of settings. And in order to roll back to the previous version, I had to do a complicated "clean" uninstall following lengthy instructions posted at ZA's user's forum.

Just read over some threads at ZA's own forums. Virtually everyone has had some sort of problem, ranging from fairly major to catastrophic.

I'm installing a new hard drive and formatting my computer this weekend. When I do, I'll be switching over to Kerio Personal Firefall.
Old 09-21-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I posted the thread a while ago. I always check ZA's forums before doing an upgrade and it turned out that the major 6.0 upgrade was a rushed beta to introduce an antispyware feature. There were no answers from the support team. Maybe there's a newer version since then, but I'll be waiting quite a while before I update since V5 is working fine for me and I don't need more antispyware stuff on my machine. They should just concentrate on firewall protection instead of going antivirus/antispyware.
Old 09-21-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't had any problems sending emails, browsing things, downloading things, etc., did the install last week (don't remember which day). I did it as a "clean install" as it recommended. It is kind of nice to start over with the "granting permissions".

I hadn't upgraded since the problem it was having with downloading and processing binaries, but I looked and it seems they said it was fixed, and lo and behold it seems to have been.

NOTE: I'm on Win2K
Old 09-21-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, if I haven't upgraded the engine with a clean install for a bit, I'll just delete all my program permissions every once in a while to start them from scratch again, just to be in the know.
Old 09-21-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have it at work and the Internet and E-Mail are ok but it will hide computers on the LAN . I have set up Trusted Zones, Trusted IP address, Trusted Subnet, but it will still hide some computers, sometimes shutting off the connection in the middle of a file transfer. Just read about the problem processing binaries, guess that is why this is happening also. Guess it's time to go back to an older version.

Any other free Firewalls would you recomend?
Old 09-21-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sygate has a pretty good free firewall, though I still prefer Zone Alarm 5.5.

http://smb.sygate.com/download_buy.htm
Old 09-21-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks people. I guess i'll just hang on to the old version...