Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Ok...PLEASE help with my unspecified computer troubles! (Please please please)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-20-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just yesterday morning, right when I woke up, I could tell my computer was different. I turned it on, Windows starts, but everything is slower. The background image just stays on the screen for over 1 minute after startup, and the icons finally begin to showup. Then I keep getting Error Messages from Windows. If I click on "Report to Microsoft", it'll clear the message off my screen, and then immediately bring it back up again.

Everytime I click on anything, including Mozilla, it takes at least 60-90 seconds for that window to open up.

My computer continuously is re-starting randomly.

I tried to do SpyBot, but it won't make it all the way through, my computer always restarts (ALWAYS!) once it gets to around 8000 out of 12000 bytes read.

I don't know what else to do, any advice?
Old 09-20-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
run spybot and other virus scanners and adware removal tools from safe mode
press F8 during boot before the XP splash screen comes up and select safe mode from the list
Old 09-20-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Think back to the few days before it started screwing up. Did you install anything new? Were you doing alot of surfing? 9 times out of 10, when I get a call with symptoms like that it is usually a newly installed windows update, program, driver update, etc.

With all the restarting, it sounds like you could have a driver problem or hardware problem. I have seen video card drivers do that exact same thing. Also, check your cpu temp. Is the room hotter than normal?
Old 09-21-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just to specify, because I forgot to...I have Windows XP, and I use Mozilla as my browser.

What are some good, free Virus Scanners I should download and use? I already use Spybot & Ad-aware.
Old 09-21-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You don't have an antivirus program installed currently??? AVG is pretty good:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Also, it won't do anything for your immediate problems, but if you don't have a firewall installed, you should probably look into getting that as well.
Old 09-21-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You might want to run Hijack This. I always give it a try when my system is acting screwy.

LINKY

As far as antivirus, I always run Norton. Everyone has their own opinion and no antivirus is perfect, however Norton has definitely saved my butt a number of times. I would highly recommend getting a decent AV program. I get norton free each year when tax season rolls around (Turbotax package deal). Anyway, you might have to pay full price the first year, but each upgrade will be essentially free.

I have seen and had too many problems with free antivirus programs.