Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Looking For DVD Software...HELP!!!

Old 09-19-05, 10:23 PM
Cool New Member

Looking For DVD Software...HELP!!!

I am actually looking for some software that will convert a home-made DVD (my brother burned one for me) that I want to convert into either a SVCD or an AVI. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want one that will do a really great resolution and a very sharp image. I don't care how long it will take to convert it, I just need one that will really work. I have tried some and I was not impressed with them. Money is not an object, I am willing to pay for a really good program. Please help, I would appreciate it.
Old 09-20-05, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use AutoGK along with DVD Decrypter, and have had fantastic results. Both are simple to use and very effective. DVD Decrypter rips the DVD, and AutoGK, which comes with DVD2AVI and BeSweet encodes it to a divx or xvid .avi file. It's your choice. You can't get much easier and effective than this program. Just be sure to set the quality to maximum if you use this program.

http://www.autogk.me.uk/

http://www.free-codecs.com/DVD_Decrypter_download.htm

It should work with DVD-R and DVD+R, just go to videohelp.com and look for guides.

I have tried some and I was not impressed with them.
Which did you try?
Old 09-20-05, 09:03 AM
Cool New Member

I have tried Easy DVD to DivX, VCD, SVCD Converter Pro 3.0.22 which did not do a very good quality. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I tried doing it three or four different times with the same results. Sound was really good but the video was not good at all. Too fuzzy. I tried X Video Converter which worked about the same as Easy DVD does. I even tried IMToo DVD Ripper. Same results with that one only the video was worse. I will have to try out the two you suggested though. Thanks. Let me know of any others you may suggest as well.
Old 09-20-05, 09:15 AM
Cool New Member

By the way did you download the 1.96 version AutoGK or was it a different version? Just curious as to which one you did and if you had any problems with the program at all.
Old 09-20-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, 1.96 is the most recent stable version. I don't recommend going with a beta version.

By the way, here's a great step-by-step tutorial on how to use these programs for the best results.

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/autogk.htm

Now, I've never ripped a DVD-R or DVD+R. So settings and steps might be a bit different. You can always search Doom9 or VideoHelp for guides and help.

Last edited by Terrell; 09-20-05 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-20-05, 02:13 PM
Cool New Member

Cool! Thanks so much I will have to try it out then. I just downloaded it so I am off to install and try it. Thanks again and do let me know if you know of any other programs.