Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Burning a DVD Help Needed - Newbie

Old 09-18-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Burning a DVD Help Needed - Newbie

I just created a window's movie maker project and now I want to burn it to a dvd.

I have a new pc with media center, dvd writer and Nero software.
Whe I start Nero Smart I select Burn DVD-Video files.
When I select my movie maker file it tells me it's not a compatable file.

What do I have to do to burn my movie maker video onto a dvd ?

Thanks !
Old 09-19-05, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would recommend you check the articles here out: http://www.videohelp.com/articles

I've never used Window Movie Maker, what sort of files does it output?
Old 09-19-05, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
I would recommend you check the articles here out: http://www.videohelp.com/articles

I've never used Window Movie Maker, what sort of files does it output?
There isn't a file extension, it justs says window movie maker file.

Window Movie Maker is a video editing tool.
I transferred my 8mm video from my camcorder using dazzle.
It saved it as a windows media file.
I used movie maker to import the file and then I edited the video.

I then tried to burn it to dvd using Nero and it's telling me the file format is incompatable.
Old 09-19-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that's you're problem right there: Windows Media is not really a compatible DVD file.

(I'm just trying to work with the tools you have, but there's better options.) Do you have the complete version of Nero? Ultra, I think it's called? It has all the tools you'll need in one package. You can import in Nero, edit it, and it will properly convert the file to compatible DVD for burning.
Old 09-19-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that's you're problem right there: Windows Media is not really a compatible DVD file.

(I'm just trying to work with the tools you have, but there's better options.) Do you have the complete version of Nero? Ultra, I think it's called? It has all the tools you'll need in one package. You can import in Nero, edit it, and it will properly convert the file to compatible DVD for burning.
I'm not sure. I just set up the pc yesterday.
I know it has NeroSmart.

The thing is I spent a few hours editing the video in Movie Maker.
I'd hate to have to start over again. It came out great !

There must be a way to convert the Movie Maker file into a file format Nero can handle.
Old 09-19-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chew,

I got this from the videohelp site you recommended:

Disc burning to play on computers is also easy.... just copy a saved WMV file to a standard blank CD. It'll play on other computers just like it plays on yours.

The world of TV viewing is different than computer viewing. Those discs require MPEG (Moving Picture Experts Group) files, MPEG1 for VCDs and MPEG2 for SVCDs and DVDs.

Save your MM2 movies using either WMV or DV-AVI formats, and use your disc authoring/burning software to convert them to MPEG files.

DV-AVI files are the best quality if headed toward a DVD.... but the differences between starting with a DV-AVI file and a high quality WMV file are not significant.

It looks like I have to save my movie maker file in WMV or a DV-AVI format then use disc authoring/ burning software to convert them to MPEG files.
Can Nero does this part ?
Old 09-19-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Struz
It looks like I have to save my movie maker file in WMV or a DV-AVI format then use disc authoring/ burning software to convert them to MPEG files.

Can Nero does this part ?
Yes, if you have Ultra. If you only have the basic (OEM?) version, then no.
Old 09-19-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Struz

You may want to see if you have NERO Vision Express loaded. That includes a product calle NERO Recode that should be able to convert your movie maker format to DVD format.

http://ww2.nero.com/enu/nero-up.php

look at update package 2, that should be what you need.
Old 09-19-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Struz

You may want to see if you have NERO Vision Express loaded. That includes a product calle NERO Recode that should be able to convert your movie maker format to DVD format.

http://ww2.nero.com/enu/nero-up.php

look at update package 2, that should be what you need.
4KRG,

I'm not sure what Nero software is loaded. I just bought and set up the pc yesterday.

I know I have Nero Smart.
If I have Nero Vision Express then I should be able to convert my movie maker file ?

If not, can I upgrade to Nero Ultra or do I have to buy Nero 6 Ultra Edition first ?
Old 09-19-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In windows movie maker there should be an option to PRODUCE or MAKE movie. This will create your project into 1 file with one of those file extensions. What was the extension of the original files? AVI or MPG?

In order to burn a DVD the file needs to be in a MPEG 2 format.
Old 09-19-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Struz

If you click START - PROGRAMS - NERO you should be able to see the programs that are installed. You should see Vision Express and Recode if they are installed.

You can buy the ultra edition online www.nero.com and then download the first two packages from the link I put above, plug in your serial number and go.

I am not familiar with movie maker, there may be a way to do it internally with that software. I mostly use Nero and some of the ULEAD products for DVD creation, so that is what I am familiar with. I think you will most likely use NERO Ultra if you buy it, very useful program.
Old 09-19-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
In windows movie maker there should be an option to PRODUCE or MAKE movie. This will create your project into 1 file with one of those file extensions. What was the extension of the original files? AVI or MPG?

In order to burn a DVD the file needs to be in a MPEG 2 format.
The original file is in WMV format.
I used Dazzle (USB connector with thr rca jacks atached) to get the video into the computer.
I then imported it into Movie Maker and edited the video.
Old 09-19-05, 03:43 PM

Maybe we should keep our discussions in this thread.......

Whay type of camcorder do you have? is it a DIGITAL camcorder? either miniDV or DIGITAL 8? If so you need to transfer your video to your PC using Firewire. This wil give you the higest quality.

Were you able to create another WMV file from your original?
Your WMV file will not look any better once you burn it to DVD.

You need to convert this file to a MPEG2 format. I think there is some freeware out there but I don't know any of hand... I think ULEAD DVD movieFactory will do it..

I recommend you go buy some video editing SW if you plan on doing more of this. I highly recommend Sony Vegas. Its less then $100.00.
Old 09-19-05, 03:50 PM

If your still having problems, You can email me the file and I will try to convert it to a MPEG2 format for you to burn to DVD... But unless its a WMV or AVI or MPEG I am not sure I can convert it.... Let me know and I will give you an alternate email address.... If possible send me a 10 minute snippet of the video so I can play around with it..
Old 09-19-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe we should keep our discussions in this thread.......

Whay type of camcorder do you have? is it a DIGITAL camcorder? either miniDV or DIGITAL 8? If so you need to transfer your video to your PC using Firewire. This wil give you the higest quality.

Were you able to create another WMV file from your original?
Your WMV file will not look any better once you burn it to DVD.

You need to convert this file to a MPEG2 format. I think there is some freeware out there but I don't know any of hand... I think ULEAD DVD movieFactory will do it..

I recommend you go buy some video editing SW if you plan on doing more of this. I highly recommend Sony Vegas. Its less then $100.00.
It's an 8mm camcorder. The quality isn't an issue.
It looked pretty good.

Can Movie Maker or Nero convert the WMV file to MPEG-2 format ?

The Movie Maker editing software is very good and it came installed on my pc.
Old 09-19-05, 04:01 PM

If the movie maker sw does not allow you to do a basic function then it is not very good. A basic function of movie editing sw is to be able to select what format you want your final product in.. This step called making a movie or producing your movie usually takes hours for the SW to create the file.

I know ULEAD DVD movie factory can... a purchased version of NERO probably can as well

If it was a Digital camcorder then it would look really good...
Old 09-19-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the movie maker sw does not allow you to do a basic function then it is not very good. A basic function of movie editing sw is to be able to select what format you want your final product in.. This step called making a movie or producing your movie usually takes hours for the SW to create the file.

I know ULEAD DVD movie factory can... a purchased version of NERO probably can as well

If it was a Digital camcorder then it would look really good...
ANDREMIKE,

I'll check tonight if it does or not.

If my version of Nero can't do it either can I upgrade to Nero for free from their website since Nero cam einstalled on my pc ?
Old 09-19-05, 04:18 PM

I think NERO can do the convert.... If it doesn't don't yell at me.. My guess is you have a basic version installed on your PC and you will have to pay to upgrade to the premium version.. I would try the evaluation copy first....

Try the Evaluation version of ULEAD DVD Moviefactory. I see that its pretty expensive...it use to be $30.00
Old 09-19-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think NERO can do the convert.... If it doesn't don't yell at me.. My guess is you have a basic version installed on your PC and you will have to pay to upgrade to the premium version.. I would try the evaluation copy first....

Try the Evaluation version of ULEAD DVD Moviefactory. I see that its pretty expensive...it use to be $30.00
I tried Nero (version I have plus I downloaded some upgrades) and Ulead, neither worked.
Neither one recognizes the movie maker file as a video file.
Old 09-20-05, 07:51 AM

Sorry I can not help you further. Try the help menu, Try reading the instruction manual. I can't believe this sw has no way for you to burn a dvd....

I think you should invest in some real movie editing sw. I really like the Sony Vegas...
Old 09-20-05, 07:56 AM

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/pro...ct.asp?PID=977

I really recommend it....it will do everything you need it too.
Old 09-20-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Struz

read this

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...e/dvdburn.mspx

I don't use Sonic My DVD, but that is what MS recommends you use to burn DVD's from movie maker.

You would most likely be better off buying a complete package. I have never used the one ANDREMIKE recommends, but I have used ULEAD studio products and they work great

http://www.ulead.com/dmf/runme.htm
Old 09-20-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry I can not help you further. Try the help menu, Try reading the instruction manual. I can't believe this sw has no way for you to burn a dvd....

I think you should invest in some real movie editing sw. I really like the Sony Vegas...
ANDREMIKE,

I gave up on Movie Maker and tried Pinacle (which came with the Dazzle transfer device).
I was able to capture the video from my 8mm, edit it and then create a MPEG file from it. I haven't tried burning a dvd from it yet because I only downloaded a few minutes to test it.
I'm sure Nero will be able to burn it since it's in MPEG format.
The Pinacle software is actually better than the Movie Maker software.
Move Maker seems like it's only for editing and creating movies onto your hard drive or to a cd. It's not meant for dvd.

I did try to burn the original 2 hour WMV file I captued before I edited it into Movie Maker and it said the file was to big to fit onto dvd. It could only fit onto a dvd-9.

I bought a pack of DVD-R's. How much can they hold ?
My 2 hour unedited video was 1.8GB.

I'm thinking of splitting each 2 hour 8mm tape into two 1 hour dvd's.

Thanks for all your help !
Old 09-20-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Struz
I bought a pack of DVD-R's. How much can they hold ?
About 4.38gb.
Old 09-20-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

About 4.38gb.
Then why wouldn't it let me burn a 1.8 GB file to a DVD-R ?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.