Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anyone use a keylogger?

Old 09-17-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone use a keylogger?

Some quick google searching shows that the world is full of a lot of crap $49.99-99.99 software. Just want something to log both sides of a chat (AOL, MSN, Yahoo) and websites visited by, errrrr... my employees, be invisible, and not slow down the pc noticeably.

Whatcha got?
Old 09-17-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You could always go the physical route:

http://www.amecisco.com/hkstandalone.htm
Old 09-17-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used one a long time ago when my parents bought a new computer and signed up for 2 years of Compuserve for a rebate The parental controls wouldn't let me connect with ICQ, so I used a keylogger to get my dad's password so I could turn off the controls.

I know that doesn't really help you out, but I did find a free keylogging program (I think it had a free trial). Don't give up searching yet
Old 09-17-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
not since senior year of high school when I installed one on all the library computers (Macs)
Old 09-17-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But of course you still couldn't hack the passwords because MACs are impervious to hacking. Right.

Sorry, I think that was a Threadcrapper.
Old 09-17-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I got the system admin's password among others
this has a free version
http://www.refog.com/free-keylogger/key-logger.html
Old 09-18-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lateralus
You could always go the physical route:

http://www.amecisco.com/hkstandalone.htm
Hmm... intriguing, if not pricy, and is strictly a keystroke logger. So it isn't smart enough to tell me what application/website etc. that text, names, passwords, etc. are being used on?

Also, doesn't get the other side of an AIM conversation, I'm assuming?
Old 09-18-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sdcrym
I know that doesn't really help you out, but I did find a free keylogging program (I think it had a free trial). Don't give up searching yet
Wow... Inverse spying, how veddy interesting!!!

I've seen ones with "free trials" where it's like 30 minutes per session to "try it out", and stupid parents don't realize that, and a popup that says "thanks for trying out our keylog spying software" shows up while the kids are using the pc.

Then the parents get mad at the software.
Old 09-18-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I did a trial run on my own before I left it on. There was a splash screen, but there was also an option to turn it off.
Old 09-18-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We use Spector Pro 5.0 and it works well and is generally well reviewed.
Old 09-18-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Back Oriffice should also work, you'd even be able to watch their screen in real time, but you'd have to have a virus scan program that you could set to ignore it since BO is old enough to get detected by even the crappiest of virus scanners
Old 09-19-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I installed kgb key logger before. For free it has an icon next to the clock, but for the official "hidden" version it is 29.95. It gets the name of what window/application everything is typed, and once registered can take screen shots, save what is copied to the clipboard. You could download the trial and see what it has to offer before you buy.
http://www.refog.com/keylogger/
Old 09-20-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
Back Oriffice should also work, you'd even be able to watch their screen in real time, but you'd have to have a virus scan program that you could set to ignore it since BO is old enough to get detected by even the crappiest of virus scanners
Meh.. It's the kids pc. I'm thinking of not even having a virus checker on it, and if it ever gets a problem, just wipe it clean and start over...

One he has to install Rollercoaster Tycoon II for a fourth time, he'll think twice about downloading some attachment from a "friend"...
Old 09-20-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How old are your kids? Would they notice a little icon down by the clock? Most of the time it is hidden by the slider in XP. Then KGB for free may work for you. It will only record 1 side of the conversations, which may or may not be sufficient.
Old 09-22-05, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a physical keylogger on my computer for a long time. It's a good way to keep track of what you're doing...and a safe way to remember passwords.