Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Fixing Home Network

Old 09-17-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fixing Home Network

I have a home network set up with a desktop and a laptop. Recently I have not been able to view the other files on the other computer (I cannot see my desktop from my laptop and vica versa). I have Windows XP Pro installed on both computers. My desktop has SP2 installed, but my laptop doesn't (due to SP2 not working with my digital video camera). I cannot figure out how to connect the computers. Both computers are linked to the internet thru a DLink router.
Old 09-17-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does no one know? I'm sure SOMEONE has to know.
Old 09-18-05, 12:09 AM

Are the systems on the same workgroup? Can you ping from one to the other? Open a command window and type PING and see if you get a reply. If you don't something is probably wrong with the IP address config or the windows firewall is blocking it. Try turning it off temporarily and see if that helps.
Old 09-18-05, 04:22 AM

I'm have the same problem but both systems have sp2, it just seems that there is some setting that is off. Joxer try and turn off simple file sharing by, in a explorer window->tools->Folder Options->View tab->last check box "Use simple file sharing" and then when you want to share a folder right click and goto sharing and security. Make sure you set the security tab.