Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Changing web hosting companies slyly (but honestly)... Can I do it this way?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-16-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some background information:

I currently own my own domain. I am also the administrative and technical contacts under WHOIS. All the information is correct and up-to-date.

Earlier this year, my friend offered to make me a web site. He chose the hosting company, paid their monthly hosting fees (~$8) via his own credit card and pretty much maintained the site for me.

Now we've had a falling out over the site and the hosting company sucks. I want to take over control but the hosting company refuses to deal with me until I can provide the last 6 digits of the credit card used to pay for the hosting account. On top of that, my friend has to authorize me as someone who can access the account (which he isn't going to do anyway). Rather than picking my friend's pocket, can I do the following:

Open my own account with a different hosting company and then change my domain DNS servers to point to the new hosting servers. I already have a new web site developed that I can upload to the new servers immediately. Is there anyway for my friend or the existing host to block this change? Neither of them have any control over my domain. Only I know the account info. Once the transfer happens and the domain points to new servers, what happens to the old files? I would imagine they are worthless and inaccessible via my web site URL, right? That should force my friend to close out his account unless he wants to pay them every month without any domain pointing to his files.

Any other suggestions on how to handle this? Many thanks...
Old 09-16-05, 01:45 PM
X
Administrator

That's the way to do it. The only problem would be if the domain were registered under the suckekeke hosting company and they didn't allow you to change the domain's DNS server names.
Old 09-16-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
That's the way to do it. The only problem would be if the domain were registered under the suckekeke hosting company and they didn't allow you to change the domain's DNS server names.

No, I'm good there. The domain is registered via a totally different company (goDaddy.com) and not under the suckekeke hosting company. I am free to change the DNS server info whenever I want.