Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hooking PC audio to home theater question

Old 09-16-05, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hooking PC audio to home theater question

Not sure if this should go here, or in the home theater hardware forum, but I'll try it here. I recently purchased a new Sony LCD RPTV, which has a D-SUB pc monitor input. No problem there, I just need to buy the right cable, since the only one I have is the new digital kind (forgot the name). My question is about the audio side. I have a DFI LanBoy motherboard with built in sound. It has several audio out jacks for use with 5.1 computer speaker systems (one hookup for the fronts, one for the center, one for the surrounds, and one for the sub), and it also has a S/PDIF output. How do I hook the PC to my audio receiver in my HT system for 5.1? Do I use the S/PDIF, or will I need a regular audio card?

Brian
Old 09-16-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You have to use the S/PDIF to connect to your receiver for 5.1 and DTS, be it coaxial or optical.
Old 09-16-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D, so can I confirm that DFI uses coax for the S/PDIF. Just get a digital coax cable and hook it from the S/PDIF to the receiver and select use digital out in the sound settings on your system.

Last edited by Brain Stew; 09-16-05 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-17-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the response... once I pick up a VGA cable, I'll try it out... I think I have a spare coax sitting around somewhere.

Brian