Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Online photofinishing question (need your confirmation) ...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-15-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, i'm not an expert on this topic hence the question so here goes ...

- I'm going to upload some digital photos to a photofinishing service (i've done this before)

- I'm currently using a 5mp Canon s2is which i'm outputting pretty large files at ~ 2mb to 3.5mb on average.

At this moment I just want to print out 4x6's.

My question is this:

Would it make more sense to just resize all my photos to ~ 4x6 which reduces their file size to ~ 250kb to 400kb each? I'll keep copies of the originals before resizing.

From what I understand, using Paint Shop Pro 9 I can resize my photos and lock in the quality aspects (dpi = 300 etc ...) but reduce the dimensions so the actual file size is much smaller - thus - much quicker upload.

I'm not losing any quality am I? Am I missing anything? Does this make sense?

I figure that trying to print out 8x12's with a resized 4x6 would cause problems ... but printing out 4x6's shouldn't have any noticeable loss in quality ... right?

Thanks.
Old 09-15-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I upload my 5 mb pictures to www.snapfish.com and it will reduce the size for you. Pictures look great so far.
Old 09-15-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks ... but what i'm mainly trying to do is to reduce the amount of upload per picture or to have more pictures for the same upload traffic.

I'm intending to upload a crapload of pics to www.futureshop.ca which is having 19 cent 4x6's. They seem to use very good photo paper and I can pick them up on the way from work so no shipping charges.

However, using their "advanced uploader" you can only upload a max of 50mb per session. If you use large files on average then it doesn't amount to much at all.

If I could get confirmation that by reducing the file dimensions to 4x6 without any loss in quality then i'd be able to upload many more pics than before.
Old 09-15-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bill_n_opus
From what I understand, using Paint Shop Pro 9 I can resize my photos and lock in the quality aspects (dpi = 300 etc ...) but reduce the dimensions so the actual file size is much smaller - thus - much quicker upload.
This is what I normally do and the pictures come out great. I hate letting the photo place crop my pictures as they always screw up a couple.