Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

need some help with a external ide-to-usb enclosure

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-14-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty damn good with computers, but this piece of shit has me dumbfounded.

I bought this external IDE-to-USB enclosure for a hard drive to use with my laptop. I stuck an unformatted 120gig hard drive in it and when I plug it in, windows (which is suppose to automagically detect this pos) comes up with crap saying it can't, and in device manager it's got the little ! next to "USB Mass Storage Device" ...the drivers on the damn CD don't work and the one that does seem to MAYBE work, it sits at the install process for like...EVER (I've never seen something take so damn long, I've never actually let it complete the install because I figure it's just gonna sit till next year) ...the CD driver has 3 different "drivers" for the model but none really work..

the model is a PLUMAX PM-350U2-PCS

the one driver that does seem to work manages to actually put "USB Storage Adapter AT2 (TPP)" under USB controllers in device manager, and "Disk drive" under "Disk Drives" in device manager as well, but like I said the install of the drivers never actually completes..before it does complete if I go to the Disk Drive and look under volumes it lists none (though it may not be fully installed..)..so any help would be appreciated as I want to throw this piece of shit out a window..or a fast moving car..
Old 09-14-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pilot
I'm pretty damn good with computers, but this piece of shit has me dumbfounded.

I bought this external IDE-to-USB enclosure for a hard drive to use with my laptop. I stuck an unformatted 120gig hard drive in it and when I plug it in, windows (which is suppose to automagically detect this pos) comes up with crap saying it can't, and in device manager it's got the little ! next to "USB Mass Storage Device" ...the drivers on the damn CD don't work and the one that does seem to MAYBE work, it sits at the install process for like...EVER (I've never seen something take so damn long, I've never actually let it complete the install because I figure it's just gonna sit till next year) ...the CD driver has 3 different "drivers" for the model but none really work..

the model is a PLUMAX PM-350U2-PCS

the one driver that does seem to work manages to actually put "USB Storage Adapter AT2 (TPP)" under USB controllers in device manager, and "Disk drive" under "Disk Drives" in device manager as well, but like I said the install of the drivers never actually completes..before it does complete if I go to the Disk Drive and look under volumes it lists none (though it may not be fully installed..)..so any help would be appreciated as I want to throw this piece of shit out a window..or a fast moving car..
try putting a formatted drive in the enclosure
Old 09-14-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by habers
try putting a formatted drive in the enclosure
I don't have a computer to format it on ...(or any spare already formatted drives..)
Old 09-14-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the drive set to.... Master, Slave, CS? Play around with that configuration.
Old 09-14-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zuffy
What is the drive set to.... Master, Slave, CS? Play around with that configuration.
I did..
Old 09-14-05, 11:05 PM
X
Administrator

I also have a POS Plumax that doesn't work. It's the 320U2 series. It's an exchange for the previous one that I had that didn't work either.

You do want your drive to be set to master to have any chance.
Old 09-15-05, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

- what OS are you using? If you are using XP then it should recognize the external enclosure right away as long as the drive is formatted.

- if you are using XP then there should be no need to add or install drivers for the enclosure. Adding drivers to the OS where none is needed will potentially fubar the whole thing.

- if you can't format the drive then an easy way to get around that is to use a partitioning program to do it for you. Like Partition Magic 8.0. Fiddle around (and I use the term - fiddle - cautiously) with the program and it should be relatively obvious.

- make sure that your hdd is set to master, consult your drive manufacturer online for schematics for proper jumper positioning or follow the hdd manual (if it came with one in retail packaging - oem won't come with one usually).

- are you sure you have everything hooked up properly? Power? IDE cable on the right way and not backwards in the hdd slot? Do you have it hooked up to the slave pin by mistake? Do you have a wonky unit?

- I have 3 external enclosures and haven't had any problems with them. Just takes a bit of fiddling around in the beginning to get the hang of it but once you do - it's pretty easy.

Then again, I have 2 ADS units (thumbs up, way up for ADS products) and a Smart Drive unit (can't remember the mfg'er) which is quite nice in itself. Never tried Plumax.
Old 09-15-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what OS are you using? If you are using XP then it should recognize the external enclosure right away as long as the drive is formatted.
it's a laptop with windows XP home

- if you are using XP then there should be no need to add or install drivers for the enclosure. Adding drivers to the OS where none is needed will potentially fubar the whole thing.
I know, the manual says the drivers should be built in, but windows does not detect it correctly for some ghetto reason.

- if you can't format the drive then an easy way to get around that is to use a partitioning program to do it for you. Like Partition Magic 8.0. Fiddle around (and I use the term - fiddle - cautiously) with the program and it should be relatively obvious.
don't own PM

- make sure that your hdd is set to master, consult your drive manufacturer online for schematics for proper jumper positioning or follow the hdd manual (if it came with one in retail packaging - oem won't come with one usually).
I tried master, slave, etc ..same result ..

- are you sure you have everything hooked up properly? Power? IDE cable on the right way and not backwards in the hdd slot? Do you have it hooked up to the slave pin by mistake? Do you have a wonky unit?
it's hooked up right ..drive powers up, ide cable is in properly..

- I have 3 external enclosures and haven't had any problems with them. Just takes a bit of fiddling around in the beginning to get the hang of it but once you do - it's pretty easy.

Then again, I have 2 ADS units (thumbs up, way up for ADS products) and a Smart Drive unit (can't remember the mfg'er) which is quite nice in itself. Never tried Plumax.
I wonder if the unit is fubar ..It's probably too late for me to return it as I bought it over a month ago and I got so annoyed with it I didn't try to use it again until last night..Am I correct to assume (yeah I know don't assume anything) that this will get all fucked if the drive is unformatted? ..I did manage to actually get the thing "installed" where device manager doesnt show the ! as it's fubar'd but then when you click it's properties, believing it's installed correctly, says like no drivers installed..i'm gonna try to figure it out later today when I get home from work ...and if I can't get it I'll find someone to format the hard drive with me as I have no desktop ..just a laptop...
Old 09-15-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pilot
..Am I correct to assume (yeah I know don't assume anything) that this will get all fucked if the drive is unformatted? ..I did manage to actually get the thing "installed" where device manager doesnt show the ! as it's fubar'd but then when you click it's properties, believing it's installed correctly, says like no drivers installed..
I don't think that your enclosure (if that's what you mean) will be fubar'd if the drive is unformatted. The problem is really just getting all the right pieces to recognize and communicate with each other.

If you bought it with a credit card you may be able to return it under your cc provider's policies. Check that out. Usually, Visa (for example) will cover stuff longer than a store's warranties or return policy. If you buy anything from Costco you pretty much have a huge grace period depending on what you bought from them.

As for Partition Magic 8.0 you can download a free trial from this link:

http://www.soft32.com/download_151.html

I'm pretty sure it's a legit link but better do the usual security stuff anyways.

Alternatively, you can search through download.com or majorgeeks.com for free or trial partitioning software.

Removed totally inappropriate statement regarding theft of copyrighted software that will result in banning if repeated. -X
Old 09-15-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll try your suggestions bill_n_opus ..going to reinstall it with a diff driver than I used since windows doesn't take it without me giving it a driver to use and hope it works..
Old 09-16-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate to be a dark cloud but... I've owned several Plumax and other related brands of enclosures and it seems that, barring some known good brands, they are truly YMMV.

The ones that work well a few months after you start using them seem to generally be solid and dependable (the enclosure that is). But I've literally got a cardboard box next to my desk with three external cases in pices and four hard disk drives that died. I don't know if the bad enclosures killed the drives or if the drives were destined to die (and become unformattable/unrecognizable) anyway. I do know the enclosures are junk as they ultimately throw up write errors with any drive I stick in them.

So, if you find an enclosure that works, note the brand etc. and stick with it. For myself, I give up. I've bought a tower case and am going to load it with the drives that still work and run software RAID (or hardware RAID if that don't work) on it - enough of this USB external crap shoot. Good luck to you.

-Gunshy
Old 09-16-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally got this piece of shit to (partially) work..instead of a "USB Mass Storage Device" I got a driver to successfully install ("USB Storage Adapter AT2 (TPP)") (under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device Manager) which also now installs a "USB Disk" in Disk Drives..but that now says "No drivers are installed for this device" ..

I have the drive set to master..and out of ideas..

-edit- sucessfully got the 'usb disk' reinstalled, but everytime I unplug the drive and plug it back in it says no drivers are installed....it (the new drive) doesn't show up in computer management (which takes a REALLY REALLY long time to load if I click disk management (like it's searching and searching but ...not finding anything) ...and if i run partition magic i get the following error:

Error

Init failed: Error 100.
Partition table is bad

..anybody else got any ideas? ..this is a hard drive right out of a sealed box..
Old 12-29-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm having the same problem. It works one day and then when I unplug it and try again another day it now doesn't work. I have a Plumax 250g model.
Old 12-30-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's probably time to buy another brand of USB HD enclosure (usually $25-$40) and just migrate the HD to it, and see if the laptop will see the enclosure and load up the drivers, etc.