Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

digital camera help for gift <$450

Old 09-14-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

digital camera help for gift <$450

i am thinking of buying my fiance a new digital camera for a wedding present so that he can use it on the honeymoon (to Spain!!). i am interested in knowing those of top quality, good price, good zoom capability, etc.

i think i saw him checking out the new (?) Canon Easyshare V-series (it has a burgandy color option)??? i don't really know anything about it...

can you great minds make some suggestions, recommendations, give me advice, whatever, i am just beginning my search. and if there are some new things coming out it has to be before Oct.8. i would like to keep the price below $450.

Cheers!!
Old 09-14-05, 12:14 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Canon SD400 (or the just released "upgrade" SD450) for compact/portability/bring with you anywhere (yet still with a decent amount of features

or

Canon S2 for features and more control (not dslr sized but significantly bigger than the "compact" line of cameras)

Last edited by HN; 09-14-05 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-14-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SONY DSC-P200

$339 - good price (Dell somtimes runs specials with it at $304)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830150057

and a review to back it up
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_.../p200_pg5.html

I currently own an older canon (S-45), I have been very happy with it for two years. I borrowed a friends Sony P200 one day and now I am going to buy one
Old 09-14-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Seconded for the SD400/450. For $450 you could probably get the SD500/500 as well.
Old 09-14-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

please, keep 'em coming but i should mention that i don't think he likes the memory stick that sony uses. i could be wrong but just wanted to throw it out there in case you all could make a believer out of him....if the camera is that great then he won't care about the stick.
Old 09-14-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hgar78
please, keep 'em coming but i should mention that i don't think he likes the memory stick that sony uses. i could be wrong but just wanted to throw it out there in case you all could make a believer out of him....if the camera is that great then he won't care about the stick.

I really hate Sony as a company. The memory stick is expensive compared to others. Other than price, there is no reason to hate a piece of memory

After spending a day with this camera, I can get over my personal issues with Sony and buy it. The memory stick is a large part of what makes this camera fast.

If he can't get over personal issues with the memory stick, then he will hate it. You can buy him a 512mb memory stick so he won't have to worry about it
Old 09-14-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up a SD200 last Christmas for my wife. It's been awesome. Super small and focuses quite quickly. You definitely lose a little versatility, but it makes up for it by the fact that it is so easy to carry it anywhere.
Old 09-14-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Canon A520 great camera. the one thing I like about it is that it uses AA batteries. This way if the battery goes dead its easy to find a replacement. Even if you have AA rechargeables.
Old 09-15-05, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Canon a70 (old) and it is/was a great camera until it started having sensor issues in low light.

Then I bought a Canon S2 IS and I love it.

Since i'm biased you should do some quick research over at:

www.dpreview.com
www.dcresource.com
... among others.

I'd probably pick www.dcresource.com and pick something like an S2 IS and then scroll down to the end of the review and check out the other models they suggest you look at.
Old 09-15-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just picked up a Sony W7 with 7.2mp for $370 at Best Buy and it works great.
Old 09-15-05, 02:54 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd say go for a Canon, good camera's
Old 09-15-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another vote for Canon. GREAT cameras. I have an Elph S230.
Old 09-16-05, 01:21 AM

If you are considering the Canon S2, you should also look at the Panasonic Lumix FZ series. They have Leica lenses, with 12x optical zoom and image stabilization. Once you start using a camera with that much zoom capability, it's tough to go back to one that only has a piddly 3x zoom!

The FZ20 is being phased out in favor of a new model, so you can find it for only $450 on sites like amazon right now (this camera was around $600 a few weeks ago). If you don't need so many bells and whistles, the FZ4 is around $300.
Old 09-16-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the suggestions so far, and please keep em coming, i'm going to do some heavy researched from them this weekend.

could you also share the specifics that i should not go below, i.e. what is the lowest megapixal i should consider, same for optical zoom, features to look for or do without, etc.
Old 09-16-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's my choice:

FujiFilm FinePix F10 Zoom.

I've actually tried this camera (a friend of mine has one) and it produces not only pretty sharp pictures, but also works well at high ISO settings for low-light pictures. The only downside is that this camera uses xD memory cards, which can be slightly more expensive than CompactFlash and SD memory cards many digital still cameras use nowadays.
Old 09-16-05, 09:52 AM
Stealth Moderator

Canon SD500. Currently $347 at dell.com after using this $35 off coupon:
S42TPR4GGSZ5M6
(expires today!)

Similar to the SD200, SD300, SD400 but it's got 7.1 megapixels. MORE IMPORTANTLY, it's got a bigger CCD sensor than the lower models (1/1.8" vs. 1/2.5").
Old 09-16-05, 07:09 PM

I used to own 2 canon printers and both died immediatly after the warranty expired, dont know how good the camera's are. I have a kodak and nikon and both have been great.
Old 09-21-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so, these were suggested by a friend....they're a little more than i wanted to pay but sound great.

Talk to me about the following:

Canon Powershot S2 IS 5MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

Kodak EasyShare P850, 5.1 Megapixel, 12x Optical/3.3x Digital Zoom

Sony Cybershot DSCH1 5.1MP Digital Camera with 12x "Steady Shot" Zoom
Old 09-21-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you checked the reviews on those cams you listed? A good place to start to read about 'em from people who actually have experience reviewing and talking about digital cameras.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

There's so much to ask and find about what a person is expecting or wants that it would an exhaustive process.

I picked the Canon S2 IS for me because of these reasons:

- incredible movie mode. I love doing 640x480 at 30fps which is great for my 3 kids.
- 12x optical zoom, Image Stabilization.
- 4xAA batteries
- variable angle, flip out lcd. Great for flexibility, shooting over people's heads etc ...
- basically a hybrid between a camcorder and a higher-end consumer point and shoot camera.

Downsides:

- size is bigger than my Canon a70 ... but that's the nature of the beast. Not a negative for me considering what it does.
- more expensive (relatively)
- again, size. If you are the kind of person that likes portable things then this cam may be a bit large for you. As always, go to your local Best Buy/whatever and actually pick the camera up with your hand and see if it "feels right".

Last edited by bill_n_opus; 09-21-05 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-23-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thank you so much for all the feedback!!! you all never disappoint!

i ended up buying the Canon S2 IS and think he will absolutely love it. plus, we still have our terrific point and shoot Kodak that we really have enjoyed.