Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DSL or Cable

Old 09-14-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DSL or Cable

I am currently in the process of moving and I now have two options for broadband. I can go with Cable or DSL and the price is difference is big. Cable will cost $49.99 per month for the following:
Speed - up to 5.2 Mbps Download* with 768 Kbps Upload*
DSL will cost $26.99 per month for the following:
Spped - up to 7.2 Mbps Download and 896 Kbps Upload.

Now I have never had DSL and have only heard of bad stories. The DSL provider is QWEST and the Cable provider is Cable America.

What are your thoughts?
Old 09-14-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What bad stories with DSL? Mostly people that have bad stories about it live right on the border of the DSL's maximum range or their house wiring is shitty. I'd go with the DSL. For the speed and price difference there is no reason not to.
Old 09-14-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I find those prices and speed for DSL a little unrealistic. Wouldn't that cost more?
Old 09-14-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

spainlinx0 said "I find those prices and speed for DSL a little unrealistic. Wouldn't that cost more?" sorry work blocks the qote button.
The normal price is $39.99 but they will discount it for 12 months w/ free modem rental.
Old 09-14-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess they also block the spell check button?!?!
The work qote above should of been quote
Old 09-14-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've had both. In my experience, speeds are more consistent with DSL. You'll get what you're supposed to get with DSL, and it will stay there. With cable, speeds tend to vary depending on how much use there is in your neighborhood.

In this particular case, I'd go with DSL simply for the faster speeds. As for horror stories, it doesn't matter whether you go with cable or dsl. You'll hear horror stories with both, and you'll hear positive stories with both.
Old 09-14-05, 12:05 PM
Retired

It varies greatly by area and some times even within area.

Verizon is having problems in the northeast with circuits getting overloaded and thus getting horrible slowdowns from like 6 pm to midnight during peak hours. There's a long thread on it in the verizon forum at DSL Reports. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14051156

I had that problem, didn't get it resolved during my trial period and switched to cable. I've had no problems with the cable, no slowdowns during peak hours and my max speed is much higher as I can get up to 6.0 on cable whereas I could only get 1.5 on DSL during the non-slowdown times.

Though checking the thread at DSL reports again, it appears Verizon is now aware of the problem and is beggining to install more circuits and move people having problems to them, thus alleviating the slowdown.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 09-14-05 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-15-05, 02:58 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tough choice, sorry bud, can't help you here. But I have noticed that DSL is more consistant (like the others have said).
Old 09-15-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in the Northeast, and I have cable while my friends have/had DSL. I have noticed faster speeds with Cable, and my friends did have the problems that Josh described.
Old 09-15-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I'm in the Northeast, and I have cable while my friends have/had DSL. I have noticed faster speeds with Cable, and my friends did have the problems that Josh described.
Yep, here in the Mid-Atlantic region DSL is terrible. And honestly if you don't leave in the boonies, bad cable is better than DSL based on mbps/dollars. Because while cable may share bandwidth in a neighboorhood, you have to be within 3 miles of your CO to get DSL and 1.5 to get good DSL.

FiOS is better, but still costs more than cable and I refuse to pay for a phoneline.
Old 09-15-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I live in the Bay Area and I was on Earthlink DSL for the longest time and didn't realize what I was missing. On Comcast Broadband now and lovin' it.
Old 09-15-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brain Stew

FiOS is better, but still costs more than cable and I refuse to pay for a phoneline.

Actually i think when verizon fios goes live everywhere and not just test states it will be a bit cheaper than cable
I believe it will be 45 a month for 15 mb down and 2 mb up
http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome...netForHome.asp

Maximum Connection Speed* Monthly Price Range
Up to 5 Mbps/2 Mbps $34.95 - $39.95

Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps $44.95 - $49.95

Up to 30 Mbps/5 Mbps $179.95 - $199.95
Old 09-15-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Actually i think when verizon fios goes live everywhere and not just test states it will be a bit cheaper than cable
I believe it will be 45 a month for 15 mb down and 2 mb up
http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome...netForHome.asp
It is live where I live. They setup an internet cafe over the summer and all the college students just went in and downloaded music all day without paying for anything .

Does the FiOS price include a phoneline? I currently don't have a landline, only Vonage, and refuse to pay for a line in order to get broadband.
Old 09-15-05, 03:47 PM
Retired

Yep, here in the Mid-Atlantic region DSL is terrible.
Yep, and while some people are getting the issue resolved as mentioned above, I image overloaded circuits will become an even bigger problem as more customers jump on board with then new 14.95 768kbps plan.
Old 09-15-05, 03:49 PM
Retired

It is live where I live. .
He's saying, I believe, that it will probably drop in price once it's live in more markets, rather than the handful it's live in now.

I'm not sure if it requires a phone line. I doubt it as I think they eventually plan to have all their phone service over fios and be done with the copper wires. But obviously that's a long, long time off.
Old 09-15-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is live where I live. They setup an internet cafe over the summer and all the college students just went in and downloaded music all day without paying for anything .

Does the FiOS price include a phoneline? I currently don't have a landline, only Vonage, and refuse to pay for a line in order to get broadband.
I doubt it includes a phone line, but you might be able to "Dry loop" it.. Give them a call and find out
Old 09-15-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DSL.

I will never ever have anything to do with any cable company again.
Old 09-15-05, 09:50 PM

Maximum Connection Speed* Monthly Price Range
Up to 5 Mbps/2 Mbps $34.95 - $39.95

Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps $44.95 - $49.95

Up to 30 Mbps/5 Mbps $179.95 - $199.95
I find it incredibly difficult to believe that a Telco is going to offer 15Mbps Fios to the home for only $45/month. Heck, most 3-6Mbps DSL packages range from $40-$50/month.

If it is, I'll get it when it's offered here. But I believe hell will freeze over before it's offered at that price. I can't imagine why anyone would pay $100+ per month for a personal home account. I could understand a small business owner paying that assuming a high speed account was vital to his business.
Old 09-15-05, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the link to their official website with that pricing is in my post, so it must be right

oh, and from what i hear, fiber is cheaper with less upkeep than copper lines so that could be why they can offer it that cheap, and they already are selling it for that price in test areas now. I think Florida and Texas are 2 of them

Last edited by glassdragon; 09-15-05 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-15-05, 11:51 PM

the link to their official website with that pricing is in my post, so it must be right
I know. I wasn't questioning you. My only point is I'll believe it when I see it. If it's true, nobody will be any happier than I. Somehow, I got a feeling when Bellsouth finally gets around to offering it in my area, it will be $80/month at least.
Old 09-16-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just within the last week I installed EarthLink 1.5 mbps download aDSL and loving every second online.

(Well, anything is vastly better than my old EarthLink dialup setup; on dialup I was getting 3-4 Kilobytes per second download speeds and I'm now getting 152-163 Kilobytes per second download speeds, easily fast enough to handle higher resolution stream video downloads. )

Of course, in my case I got a great special offer from EarthLink where I got to pay for the first year the same monthly price I was paying for dialup from them and only US$29.95 per month afterwards.
Old 09-16-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Terrell
I know. I wasn't questioning you. My only point is I'll believe it when I see it. If it's true, nobody will be any happier than I. Somehow, I got a feeling when Bellsouth finally gets around to offering it in my area, it will be $80/month at least.
Yeah it is just in test right now, so it is possible they may raise it, but for that price i'd get it in a second
Old 09-21-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

UPDATE:

DSL was installed yesterday and here are my test speeds:
5684 down and 789 up.

Cable was not even close to these speeds:

3485 down and 522 up.

Now the only problem is DSL went down 2 hours af the install and is still down.
Old 12-09-05, 09:57 PM
Retired

Well, I moved and the place I moved had dsl. But it sucks even worse than my previous experience, so we're cancelling it and switching to cable since I had great experience with it before. It's only around $4 more than what my roommate was paying for DSL when it goes up to regular price, and will save us $20 or so a month for 6 months as we're getting the first 6 for $19.95.

Guess Verizon DSL just sucks in this area. Though to be fair I have a strong inkling that in this case it's crappy, old phone wiring in this condo building, but that's not easily fixed compared to just paying a little more after 6 months for cable.
Old 12-10-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cable for my vote. It's fast and always on and you can sometimes get combo deals with cable TV.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.