Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question About Monitor Frequency?

Old 09-13-05, 10:59 PM

Question About Monitor Frequency?

My monitor is a Dell 15" flat panel. The monitor came be set to either 60, 70, 72, or 75 Hz. What does this mean? What setting is the best among what I mentioned?
Old 09-13-05, 11:02 PM
X
Administrator

It doesn't really matter much with LCDs. Try them all and see which looks best. I'm currently using 75Hz with a 19" and I think I use 60Hz with a 15".
Old 09-13-05, 11:24 PM

I tried using 60 hz but the picture looks a little blurry. I was just curious why they do have different frequencies. Thanks for responding.
Old 09-13-05, 11:29 PM
X
Administrator

Well, CRT monitors work differently at different frequencies. Some frequencies fit the monitor's screen better, some give a steadier, less flickering image. So frequency choices are going to be available.

LCD doesn't have the flicker problem due to the inherent low refresh rate of LCDs and it tends to always fill the screen at any frequency. I find very minimal differences between the refresh frequencies, just some tend to look a little sharper than others. You have to try them out to find which is best in your case.

Make sure you are using the native resolution of your monitor which would be 1024x768. That's the most important factor in a sharp LCD image.