Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Major issue with pc (process showing 100% used)

Old 09-12-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Major issue with pc (process showing 100% used)

Ok, I was having issues with my pc running slow so I did what any normal person would do, a complete reinstall of my OS. Only thing is now that I have done so, it still runs slow.

When I go into the task manager to see what is making my pc so slow it shows that the system process is running at 100%. Every few seconds it will drop down to 50% (with the other 50% being taken up by the System Idle Process) and then it jumps back up to 100% percent once more.

I started the pc in safe mode, and it did not do this at all so I restarted it in safe mode with networking and once again, no problem. But if I start windows normally the problem comes back once more.

My specs are Windows xp pro (still have SP1 installed)
1.5 gigs of cosair pc2700 cas 2.5 ram (a 1 gig stick and a 512 stick)
ATI 9800 pro
AMD 2100 processer
MSI KT4AV mobo.

I ran hijack this and got this

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:21:09 PM, on 8/12/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/...ch/search.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/...ch/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/.../www.yahoo.com
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe

This issue is present with no applications running, and I have now uninstalled everything that could be. My add remove program list is empty, as I tried to remove each item one by one to see if I could figure out what the issue was, but that did not fix the issue that I am having. I searched the web for a fix, but most people have yet to find a real way to fix the issue that I have not tried. There is nothing hooked up to my USB ports, this is a fresh install of XP so I do not see it being a virus or spyware issue...

At this point I am at a loss as to what I should try next to fix my pc. Anyone have any ideas that I can try?

Last edited by tjr2mental; 09-12-05 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-12-05, 11:29 PM

I know you said you uninstalled everything, but do you happen to use Norton antivirus? If so, the updater is known to take 100% of the CPU, and unfortunately seems to hang the machine. Incidentally, I fixed a "friends" computer just yesterday, and this was the problem.

Just post in here which process it is that takes 100% of the CPU, and we will be able to help you much better.
Old 09-13-05, 09:07 AM

It is the process named system that is taking up all of the cpu. You know, the process that is right above system idle.

There is no programs installed on it now other then Yahoo IM, so I can ask questions to some other people who might be able to solve my problem. So far no one had a clue what the issue is.
Old 09-13-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should not be using that much of your resources for so few processes. Have you confirmed in Windows Task Manager that is all the processes running? That is a barebones list.

You said this is a fresh install of the OS but that you are uninstalling things so I guess it is possible that something was loaded that was not removed during your cleanup.

If all else fails, reformat might be the quickest way to fix the problem. Also, when you start loading things back try to monitor the effect each application has on your system.
Old 09-13-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hey mental can you post a couple screen shots of the windows task magager one tab being perfromace and the other being processes and make sure you have the tab checked that read show processes from all users.
Old 09-13-05, 10:52 AM

Old 09-13-05, 10:53 AM

Old 09-13-05, 12:01 PM
X
Administrator

I had that happen off-and-on with a computer, I believe it was Win2K Advanced Server. System would be at about 0 for a while then 99% for a while. I used the Performance Monitor and traced it to a particular process but couldn't find anything wrong with it other than it hogging CPU time.

I don't remember it affecting performance though. It's as if it were occurring while the system was idle and just sucking up idle time.

I wish I could remember what fixed it. I searched all over the place and as I recall it fixed itself for a while, then came back, and I haven't seen it again for a while. Maybe it was a service pack. Do you have SP2 installed?
Old 09-13-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Many times this system 99 cpu issue is realted to hardware drivers that you have installed.

Are you using the most current drivers for all your hardware? EVEN hardware you are not using (ie. everything built into the motherboard in use or not) Make sure the BIOS is current.

Physically remove hardware you don't need (even USB devices, especially scanners).

See if any of that helps.

edited to say DO NOT USE windows update to update the hardware drivers. It is fine for windows patches, but bad for drivers.
Old 09-13-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
DO NOT USE windows update to update the hardware drivers. It is fine for windows patches, but bad for drivers.
I totally agree with that. It screwed up the usb functionality on my wifes computer a couple of weeks ago. It was a nightmare trying to diagnose and get it working again.
Old 09-13-05, 12:59 PM

I will give that a try to see if it fixes the problem that I am having.
Old 09-13-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i've seen your cpu "wavy" issue in a few servers that needed the cooling system redone. so just to get it outta the way what type of machine is it and how old? i've seen this happen when the cpu is getting way hot and starts bouncing everything around, its happened my machines when i've been overclocking.

seeing as you only have ms processes running along with the standard ati driver deal-E-O i can't see any other option.

i would start off running your hard disk mfg tools to make sure everything is okay there, then run a mem tester microsoft has a free one here

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

after that i'd check in your BIOS to see how hot your MB and CPU are and the fan speed, now if you've got a dell or compaq or something you might not have the option, so just open your case if you can't put your fingers on the heatsink without feeling like your getting burned you know you've got a heat issue. this would happen because the thermal paste or pad is old and isn't working like it should.

now one thing on the software side before you do go testing your hardware is to make sure have the most current drivers for everything i.e. your chipset, video card, etc.

and like 4K said before you get ripping stuff apart unplug everything you don't need to start the computer up.
Old 09-13-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hey mental if all else fails i can send you MARTIN5 fedex super saver to fix it.
Old 09-13-05, 01:38 PM

Yea, but that would take time out from his "phone time" and I do not see him letting that happen.
Old 09-13-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you do completely format when you did the reinstall? If so, no way it's a virus or anything like that unless your on a network that another machine can be throwing at you..
Old 09-13-05, 03:29 PM

yup, complete reinstall.

While I do have a network in my home, this pc (the messed up one) is not on it.

Ok, here is what I have done so far...

Loaded the latest Bios for the KT4VA (no change)
Ran the windows memory test and passed (no change)
Did the VIA chipset update to the latest drivers (no change)
Ran the update for the VIA Lan drivers (no change)
Added the newest realtek 97 drivers (no change)

Right now I am updating windows to SP2, once I do that I can get the latest drivers for the USB.

Oh, processor temp is 38 degrees cel. Sys temp is 36 degrees cel. All fans are working, and the heatsink is cool to the touch so I don't think that it is a heat issue.

This is totally bugging me at this point.
Old 09-13-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmm oh oh i got i got it you live in Michigan! that's it i'm fedexing MARTIN5 you can pick him up at the rest area outside Detroit.

ooooo do you have a power supply tester? one of the rails may be going poop on you. you can pick them up off zipzoom or newegg for like 10 dollars
Old 09-13-05, 04:29 PM

No, Although I do have a extra 430watt antec power supply here... I will have to try that out tomorrow when I get home from work.

Abd there is no way that I am going to Detroit to pick him up... send him to me direct or no deal!
Old 09-13-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

come on man Lansing then i'll fedex him there. oh yeah and make sure to check the caps on your motherboard to make sure none of them did a jonny wad or anything. blown or bulging caps are never good.
Old 09-14-05, 08:15 AM

Yea! No need for Martin now. Seems that after I had SP2 installed I was able to run the update for the usb drivers. Once those were installed I get this...

Oh happy days! Thanks all for the help.