Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Mac OSX hard drive replacement help needed

Old 09-12-05, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mac OSX hard drive replacement help needed

A few months ago, I bought an old G3 iMac off eBay in order to play around with OSX. It came installed with 10.3.9, but did not include any of the install disks. The hard drive it came with was only 6gb. I would like to install a larger sized drive to actually be able to do things with this computer.

I downloaded a program called "Carbon Copy Cloner" to move the OS and all of my files to the new harddrive (which I had put into an external enclosure). It said copy complete and I installed the bigger drive, but it wouldn't boot up.

Since I've already opened up the iMac several times, I'd like to find something that will for sure work this time. Does anybody have any experience with this that can recommend some software that'll work? Freeware preferred. (I would use the external drive, but it's really meant for use with my XP PC.)
Old 09-12-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you can try booting the imac using bootcd and repair the permissions on the new drive using disk utilities. you can also put CCC on your bootcd and try to CCC the old drive from the external enclosure to the new drive in the imac.

kms
Old 09-12-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

CCC is the way to go. Should've worked fine. What does the cloned disk do when you try and boot off of it? I assume "Make Bootable" was checked? Also, there are two versions of CCC, one for MacOS X 10.1x and one for 10.2-10-4. You want version 2.3. bombich.com

BTW, what size is the new drive and is it compatible with the iMac? Sounds pretty old.

Last edited by CRM114; 09-12-05 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-12-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The clone disc gives me this repeating "?" in a folder flash. I used the latest version of CCC.

Yeah, it's really old. It's a 333mhz blue iMac. I just wanted to play around with OSX and got what was cheap. Since it came with 10.3.9, I figured that was a good deal. Unfortunately, the harddrive space was becoming an issue.

I even tried a different program ("SuperDuper!") and that didn't work either.

If these USB ports weren't 1.1, I would have no problem with getting another external.

Edit: it's a 40gb harddrive. I didn't think anything smaller than 127 would be a problem.

Last edited by Chew; 09-12-05 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-13-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there are other options for playing with mac os x.
Old 09-13-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kms_md
there are other options for playing with mac os x.
Yeah, I had heard of that. I guess after playing with OSX for a little while, I'm getting the "itch" to go full-force with the dark side and switch by buying a real Mac.

This whole Intel switch has me a little concerned I'm going to waste my money on something that'll be out-of-date a lot quicker than your normal computer. I bought a 3rd gen iPod and the 4th came out about 3 months later.
Old 09-13-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i hope by switching to intel prices on new macs drop and apple takes over the world
Old 09-13-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Chew
Yeah, I had heard of that. I guess after playing with OSX for a little while, I'm getting the "itch" to go full-force with the dark side and switch by buying a real Mac.

This whole Intel switch has me a little concerned I'm going to waste my money on something that'll be out-of-date a lot quicker than your normal computer. I bought a 3rd gen iPod and the 4th came out about 3 months later.
If you are unsure, pick up a used G4 tower to get your fix on the cheap.
Old 09-13-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do these processor speeds translate? My PC is 3ghz and the Mini tends to be 1.25 or 1.42.
Old 09-13-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The clone disc gives me this repeating "?" in a folder flash. I used the latest version of CCC.

Yeah, it's really old. It's a 333mhz blue iMac. I just wanted to play around with OSX and got what was cheap. Since it came with 10.3.9, I figured that was a good deal. Unfortunately, the harddrive space was becoming an issue.

I even tried a different program ("SuperDuper!") and that didn't work either.

If these USB ports weren't 1.1, I would have no problem with getting another external.

Edit: it's a 40gb harddrive. I didn't think anything smaller than 127 would be a problem.
Did you use the correct version of CCC and did you check off "Make Bootable?" That's probably the issue.

Or you could buy a 10.3 CD off eBay and just install it onto the new drive.

Last edited by CRM114; 09-13-05 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-14-05, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I double-checked on the version. And the "make bootable" was defaulted in the settings.

The eBay idea might be the best option at this point.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do these processor speeds translate? My PC is 3ghz and the Mini tends to be 1.25 or 1.42.
There's no direct correlation, but a 1.4 Ghz mac mini should be about the same performance wise as a 2.8 or so P4. Your G3 333 is pretty ancient. Technically, I don't think OS X is even supported for it.

Why not just keep X.3.9 on the 6 gig HD (since it's working) and use the external drive for files?
Old 09-14-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason
There's no direct correlation, but a 1.4 Ghz mac mini should be about the same performance wise as a 2.8 or so P4. Your G3 333 is pretty ancient. Technically, I don't think OS X is even supported for it.

Why not just keep X.3.9 on the 6 gig HD (since it's working) and use the external drive for files?
You're right. The supported hardware for 10.4 only goes back to the slot-loading CD iMac (which had a Firewire port). A 333MHz model doesn't have a slot load. I'm sure the Panther requirements were the same.

I actually use two of those 333's at work. One runs Yellow Dog Linux and MySQL (the thing is rock solid - I haven't rebooted for well over a year) and another running 10.2. It is the receiving end of an rsync backup process over our network.

I believe the OP said his external drive was for his PC. What he could do is network the two together and use the PC as storage.
Old 09-19-05, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I figured out the problem. And if this is "OSX 101" for everybody else, forgive this major Mac newbie!

Apparently, the drive needed to be partitioned to no more than 8gb so the OS could be installed on the first partition. Now it works fine.
Old 09-19-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I figured out the problem. And if this is "OSX 101" for everybody else, forgive this major Mac newbie!

Apparently, the drive needed to be partitioned to no more than 8gb so the OS could be installed on the first partition. Now it works fine.
The 8GB partition thing only applies to models that came out before OS X was releases. Any models releases during the OS X era do not have that issue.
Old 09-19-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
The 8GB partition thing only applies to models that came out before OS X was releases. Any models releases during the OS X era do not have that issue.
Ah. With mine being a 333mhz G3 iMac that was obviously upgraded to 10.3, I guess I understand why nobody knew the answer.