Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

outputting s-video from laptop

Old 09-11-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

outputting s-video from laptop

I'm running win xp and have an ATI Radeon 9700 graphics card. I'm trying to output video through my S-video port onto my tv. I can get my desktop to show up on my tv, but when I play a dvd in windows media player, or any other player for that matter, the video doesn't show up on the tv. The video plays on my laptop screen, and the windows media player window shows up on the tv, but there's only a black box where the video should be. I'm also tried playing avi's and mov's just to see if they showed up and I get the same result.

Any ideas?
Old 09-11-05, 10:36 PM
X
Administrator

You generally can only see video on the overlay surface. Make the s-video output be your primary monitor (which is the one that has the overlay) and it should work.
Old 09-11-05, 10:40 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if the 2 video windows trick works
(open video in wmp window, pause it. open another wmp window and play video from there)
Old 09-11-05, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by X
You generally can only see video on the overlay surface. Make the s-video output be your primary monitor (which is the one that has the overlay) and it should work.
How do I go about doing that?
Old 09-11-05, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by HN
I wonder if the 2 video windows trick works
(open video in wmp window, pause it. open another wmp window and play video from there)
How do I get 2 WMP player windows to open? Pausing and opening the file again just opens the video in the original window.
Old 09-11-05, 10:59 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
How do I go about doing that?
I would imagine your advanced display properties would let you specify the primary monitor. If not, just turn off the laptop's screen from the display properties and the s-video would be all that's left and would be the primary display by default. You might be able to do this with a specific key combination on your keyboard as well.

I'd probably want to know the key combination to get the laptop's display as the primary monitor anyway. Just in case.
Old 09-11-05, 11:24 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
How do I get 2 WMP player windows to open? Pausing and opening the file again just opens the video in the original window.
sorry, looks like wmp 7 and up can not open multiple instances.

(to try it out in 6.4, just go to start-> run -> mplayer2. but i don't think 6.4 can play dvds; though Media Player Classic can).