Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD File Size

Old 09-11-05, 07:00 PM

DVD File Size

In a further effort to offload my 3 year olds programs from the Direct TV Tivo I can off load 1 half hour program to my digital camcorder. From there, I use firewire to load it to the computer. Using Roxio Media Creator 7.5 to cut out commercials and burn the DVD.

My question is why are the file sizes so huge. 1 half hour show is 1.7 GB. That means I can only get two shows on a single layer disk and 4 on the double. Is this normal, the quality is only fair so I'm surprised that the files are so big. I wouldn't mind the size if the quality were as good as the Tivo. The quality is not even as good as copying the show from the camcorder to the regular VCR.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-12-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One thought: what format does the audio end up being in? For example, PCM takes up a lot of room. I'm by no means an expert in this subject, but this is just one possibility I'm throwing out here.
Old 09-12-05, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought of another possibility.

Is the bitrate constant, or does it change like on commercial DVDs? If it's constant, I would think that since the recording is done on the fly, the bitrate can't be optimized and tweaked to use the bits more efficiently, so it has to be set high enough to handle moments when more bits are needed.
Old 09-12-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

TiVo:

Best (1 hour)
High (2 hours)
Medium (4 hours)
Basic (6 hours)

Best is about 1MB/sec. High is around 500KB/sec, and so forth. TiVo doesn't have official specs on the bitrate, which is odd. And yes, as far as I know TiVo has CBR on all of their units.