Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Networking issues

Old 09-10-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Networking issues

I've got a really strange wireless network going on right now and I need a little advice.

Here are the components I've got to work with:

A Belkin Pre-N router
A D-Link 614+ router (my old one)
A Mac Mini with built-in Airport
An AirportExpress unit, used to stream music to my in-house audio system

Here's what I've got going on now:

My Belkin is hooked my cable modem and the Mac Mini in my office, pushing out the wireless signal I use for my Xbox and PSP. It's also streaming music to the AirportExpress, connected to a receiver in the basement, tied to my home speaker system.

I'd like to add a PC (or two) into the mix, both based in the basement. Is there any way I can use my D-Link router to connect a computer or two to my network? I thought it would be possible but I can't find clear instructions that illustrate what I'm trying to do and so far, everything I've tried hasn't worked.

I'm trying to avoid buying network cards for my PCs, but I will if I have to.
Old 09-11-05, 04:22 AM

I would just run a network cable to your basement and get a switch and boom you are done. If those 2 computers are desktops then I would say wire them or buy the pre-N cards if you can't run the wire.
Old 09-12-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm trying to avoid running wires, considering I've got wireless signals flying all around my house.

There HAS to be a way to get my D-Link router to connect to both basement computers and latch on to the wireless signal sent out from the Belkin.
Old 09-12-05, 12:05 PM

to connect both routers together you will need to wire them and disable the dhcp server on the second one and connect both routers via one of the lan connections (NOT the WAN) other then this your other option is to buy a wireless repeater or access point.
Old 09-12-05, 12:24 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Flyerman85
to connect both routers together you will need to wire them and disable the dhcp server on the second one and connect both routers via one of the lan connections (NOT the WAN) other then this your other option is to buy a wireless repeater or access point.
That's just what I'm doing with a D-Link 514. Just treat it like a hub that's also wireless.
Old 09-12-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I appreciate the help but now I'm confused.

I have to physically wire the two routers together? I can't use the D-Link as some kind of access point?

There's info in the manual about using the D-Link as part of an "existing wireless network." I assume this is the answer to my problem. It just isn't clear about the settings I need to use to make that happen. Am I misunderstanding the manual?
Old 09-12-05, 02:18 PM

ok what you need to do is go into the router config page ( default 192.168.0.1 or whatever) once in there, you first need to set the routers ip to on in the same subnet are the main router (like if the main router gives ips from (192.168.0.2-192.168.0.50) put it some where in that range. Then there should be a option in the LAN settings for turning on the dhcp server (should just be a check box) turn it off, also set your wireless network settings as you want them. Once all these settings are done plug a standard network cable (Cat 5 or Cat6) from one of the Lan ports on the main router (ie 1,2,3,4 all the ones left open once the cable modem is connected) and connect the other end of the cable to one of the same ports on the D-link router. and power it up and you are done.
Old 09-12-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I appreciate the tips, but just to clarify, I still have to always have the two routers wired together to get this to work?

If so, I still don't get why it says I can join an "existing wireless network" since all I'm doing is basically using the D-Link as a splitter off one of the wired channels of the Belkin.
Old 09-12-05, 06:39 PM

well setting it up this way makes your d-link like a access point
Old 09-12-05, 09:05 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You are missing the point. Draven wants to use the *wirelessly* connect the D-Link to his Belkin wireless router--i.e. he does NOT want to have to run wires between them.

Draven, unfortunately, as best I can tell from my research, your D-Link will not be able to do this. It does not support either client mode or WDS bridging, which are the only two ways to make it happen. I recommend picking up a Linksys WRT54G and flashing it with DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com). It supports client mode and WDS bridging, though the former is your only option since the Belkin does not (AFAIK) support WDS.
Old 09-13-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JM
You are missing the point. Draven wants to use the *wirelessly* connect the D-Link to his Belkin wireless router--i.e. he does NOT want to have to run wires between them.

Draven, unfortunately, as best I can tell from my research, your D-Link will not be able to do this. It does not support either client mode or WDS bridging, which are the only two ways to make it happen. I recommend picking up a Linksys WRT54G and flashing it with DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com). It supports client mode and WDS bridging, though the former is your only option since the Belkin does not (AFAIK) support WDS.
Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know.

I'll look into that - I appreciate all the help!
Old 09-13-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
I appreciate the tips, but just to clarify, I still have to always have the two routers wired together to get this to work?

If so, I still don't get why it says I can join an "existing wireless network" since all I'm doing is basically using the D-Link as a splitter off one of the wired channels of the Belkin.
adhoc mode, if they don't support it, turn off the DHCP on the one you want to use as an AP. and for god sake make sure they're on the same subnet. i've got a dlink and two netgears hooked up this way using the dlink router as an AP only.