Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

RAID questions

Old 09-10-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

RAID questions

When setting up a striping array, should drives be on the same channels, different channels, what? If you only have 2 PATA channels, how do you arrange them? Where would the DVD burner fit in?
Old 09-10-05, 01:08 PM
X
Administrator

It depends on what kind of RAID you're running. If it's RAID 0 (hopefully not) I think performance would be best if the drives were on different channels. You should be able to put the DVD burner as the secondary device on either channel but it might slow the drive on that channel down. I think that doesn't happen much with newer equipment but you could do some speed tests to find out.

Even for RAID 1 (used for data security) I'd put the drives on different channels because there's a chance something could go wrong with a single channel or a single cable and wreck data on one drive. You don't want that to happen with both drives.
Old 10-15-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Instead of opening a new thread, might as well bump this one up with my question (actually 2...).

Anyhoo. I already have this nice Raptor running my system. Say I want to buy another one and run RAID 1. Would I have to format the two or could I setup the array and have it initially mirror the data over?

2nd Question: Say I want to setup a RAID 5 on the other RAID controller. If I pick up 3 disks and go RAID 5 could I add a fourth at a later date? Also, is it possible to move RAID disks from one chip to another? Say I've got 4 in RAID 5 and want to add more. Could I buy a card with 6 SATA ports and up the RAID 5 array to 6 drives?

Ok, so that's more than 2 questions. I'm using the hardware in my sig - notably the ASUS A8N SLI Premium with the NForce4 and an additional SATA controller on-board.
Old 10-16-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^_^ ^_^
Old 08-01-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Umm...how about another raid question

Since my time seems to be too short nowadays I brought a desktop PC instead of building one. I think this is my first desktop purchase in about 5 years. Anyway...I brought a Raid 0 configured PC (2 - 200GB hard drives).

Being a heavy photoshop user, I need to add a scratch disk to this rig.

Can I add a different hard drive for scratch or do I have to use one of the 200gb drives?

I should've researched this before buying, but I got the fastest thing I could afford at the moment
Old 08-01-06, 11:25 AM
X
Administrator

You should be using RAID 0 for your scratch disk, not for one that you care about. Too much chance of catastrophic data loss unless you back up religiously.