Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problem with MS Money 2006

Old 09-09-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Problem with MS Money 2006

I recently upgraded to Money 2006, importing all the account information and such from the previous version. A couple times a week I'll notice that some of the balances are way out of line. I discovered that the program was changing the opening account balance when it downloaded updates from the bank, so I had to back calculate what it should've been and correct the error. Now I have the correct amount stored in the comments area for each of my accounts, so I can easily check and correct the values if necessary. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem or if anyone has any ideas how I can fix it permanently.

Last edited by sdcrym; 12-10-05 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-10-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-11-05, 12:12 AM

That's strange. I'm using MS Money 2005 and only experienced a problem similar to that once. When I would download updates for my checking account, Money for some reason wouldn't match it up with the checking account and would create a new one, thinking it was a new checking account, naming it "Checking Account #1". In the end I ended up deleting my "normal" checking account sticking with the #1 in the account name.

Have you tried deleting all your accounts, downloading updates, then importing old data into them? Let Money create the accounts for you. Make sure the opening balance is set in the account settings.

Also, check Money Online (or whatever it's called). Money automatically uploads/downloads your account info to it's free online service where you can check your accounts through a browser. http://moneycentral.msn.com
Old 12-11-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not a solution to your issue, but this is the best Money WebSite that I know of:
Money
Also see, The Un-Offical FAQ Page

I have heard so many problems with MS Money 2006 that I decided to stick with Money 2005. Unless there is a specific reason why you upgraded to 06, then I would go back to the 2005 version. Of course, you would need to re-enter the info again. Or you can re-install 2005 into a different program files folder during setup so you have 2 copies of Money ( 1 of 05 and 1 or 06) until everything is resolved.

MS 2006 should of backed up your 05 file during the 2006 installation. It will have the extension of filename.M14.
Old 12-11-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had this problem as sometimes my blances would be off. I would just download as much information as I could from my bank or credit card and that seemed to fix the issue as I have not had the issue in a couple months.