Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Newbie to Mac, stupid question

Old 09-08-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Newbie to Mac, stupid question

So I got my very first mac today (mac mini) and I download firefox and start using it but I cannot get the icon off the desktop. It is the icon that looks like a diskdrive. I haven't used a mac since elementry school so i have no idea what I am doing so far. i appreciate any help. thanks
Old 09-08-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Drag the disk to the Trash - as you do it the Trash will change to an Eject symbol. You are wanting to "unmount" the disk.

You can also right-click or control-click the symbol and choose "Eject" from there.
Old 09-08-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I prefer Safari. That being said, many apps are distributed via .dmg (disk image). Simply drag the folder/app into your applications folder if it didn't install there manually. Then either Eject i.e. drag the icon you're staring at to the trash/control click etc. This also shows up in the finder sidebar. There's a little arrow next to it which can be clicked to accomplish the same thing.

Finding a few sites to help you acclimate and pick up a few tricks should help.
Old 09-08-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

thanks, worked fine. i just didn't know what eject meant in that case. thanks again.
Old 09-08-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mljones99
thanks, worked fine. i just didn't know what eject meant in that case. thanks again.
Not a problem. I now use a G4 tower at work and a Mac Mini at home and I still get confused, having been on the PC side for many years.

I have learned that most of the time it's the most obvious thing
Old 09-09-05, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate to point out the obvious but you do need to copy the Firefox app to the applications folder before unmounting/ejecting the disc image. Otherwise the app won't be on your HD the next time you want to launch it.
Old 09-09-05, 07:38 AM

This got me the first couple of time also. Specifically:

The .dmg should create a little hard drive icon on your desktop. Open it to find the app. Drag the app to your applications folder; that act will actually install the app on your machine. The next step is to eject the new hard drive , and then you can remove and .dmg that is hanging around.
Old 09-09-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what gcbrowni said. most installs from image files are performed this way (unless a formal installer is present).

kms