Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

is it cheaper and better to use a flat screen monitor as a tv for the bedroom?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-08-05, 01:32 AM

i find that flat screen monitors tend to be cheaper than LCD tvs. so, i am thinking of buying a flat screen monitor to be used as a tv in my bedroom. any views or suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 09-08-05, 03:24 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

is it just for regular ole over-the-air tv watching?
with the LCD TV you have tuner and speakers built in.
With the monitor only, you'd need some sort of external tuner (or a tv card if you've got it hooked up to a computer) and some speakers.
Old 09-08-05, 08:21 AM
Banned

Strangely enough, you're right. LCD monitors are somewhat cheaper than their TV equivalents. Not only that, but the LCD monitors usually have a much higher resolution.

But HN is right. You need a tuner and speakers. Fortunately, speakers to hang on the side of most LCD monitors can be acquired pretty cheaply, or you can just attach up your stereo. Most HDTV's need a tuner anyway, or you use a cable/sat box. LCD Monitors generally tend to have several input methods, and component is usually one of these. DVI would be the other, but you may have trouble getting DVI to work with an HD box.

Best LCD deals I've seen are Dell's. I picked up a 2005FPW screen for a bit under $500 a while back. 20 inch widescreen, native res of 1680x1050, vga/svideo/DVI/component inputs.. You really can't find that high quality of a screen for a comparable price as a TV monitor. So I say it'd be well worth it to get one instead.