Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Tivo to VHS

Old 09-07-05, 06:54 PM

Tivo to VHS

I have the Direct Tv Tivo set top box. When I try to record onto VHS (for my 3 year old) it always comes out Black and White. I have one of my inputs set up with RCA jacks out of Tivo into VCR. RCA jacks out of VCR into TV. When watching TV that passes through the VCR it appears fine on screen. When I hit the record button, I still see color on the screen but when I rewind the tape and watch the same thing I just saw on screen, the tape plays in B&W. I took the tape to another TV with a built in VCR and it also played back in B&W. Has anyone seen this before? Neither Direct TV nor SONY tech support can help.

Thanks
Old 09-07-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
SONY tech support
Indians? I used to do that job
will the vcr record from other sources in color?
Old 09-07-05, 10:08 PM

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that using the same inputs, it will record color from my DVD player and camcorder. Then switching back to Tivo it records B&W. I thought it might be copy protection but Direct TV tech had me go to their help channel which is definitely not copy protected and it is still in B&W.
Old 09-07-05, 10:12 PM

It took me a second to understand the Indians inquiry, I don't know it was the instant messaging tech support. Isn't it nice that our shares of stock are worth $1.50 more because the companies sent 10,000 jobs overseas.
Old 09-07-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
been a while since I've been a tech support guy for them (through a company sony out sourced to, even when it was mostly Americans we still didn't directly work for sony) and even then I didn't do consumer electronics as much as their computers
only other thing I can suggest they probably had you do
cold boot: leave the receiver unplugged from the power for a minute
and
warm boot: varies per receiver, usually involves some combination of front panel buttons, and usually erases all settings
most of those products got a few basic steps done and then were transfered to the actual sony people to arrange service
sorry that's not any real help, as I don't expect either of those options to do anything since it's in color when just passing the sign through