Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Is this possible in Excel??

Old 09-07-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is this possible in Excel??

Sorry for another excel question, but is this even possible.

I was wondering if you could freeze panes more than once on your spread sheet.

For example, say I have "HEADING 1" with a bunch of data underneath. Now when I scroll down, the data is scrolling but "HEADING 1" remains at the top.

So, am I able to create another title that says "HEADING 2" with a bunch of date underneath. Am I able to freeze that pane so it that "HEADING 2" now takes the place over "HEADING 1"
Old 09-07-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I JUST asked my boss about this the other day, and he said you couldn't.

He's hardly an Excel expert though, so I'm curious about this as well.
Old 09-07-05, 01:24 PM

I don't think you can. Because once you freeze, the option becomes unfreeze.

BUT....

You can freeze the first portion and then use the CAMERA function to keep a "pop up" of the 2nd set of numbers you want to see. And the good part is you can move around this camera box.
Old 09-07-05, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by ktan1
I don't think you can. Because once you freeze, the option becomes unfreeze.

BUT....

You can freeze the first portion and then use the CAMERA function to keep a "pop up" of the 2nd set of numbers you want to see. And the good part is you can move around this camera box.

Can you elaborate please?
Old 09-07-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can always split panes to navigate to multiple parts of the screen.
Old 09-07-05, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigPete
You can always split panes to navigate to multiple parts of the screen.
How do you split panes?

Also is it possible to add more data filters on your spreadsheet. Right now I have a data filter on A4, I then have a break in the page, I then wanted to add another data filter on A94.

Ex: My data filter only reads to A4:A89 then I have a break from A90:A93. My new list starts at A94

Last edited by ElementZ; 09-07-05 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-09-05, 10:13 AM

anyone...
Old 09-09-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You have two sets of unrelated data on the same worksheet, in the same columns? I would suggest moving your second set to another worksheet if you can. By doing that, you can then filter on the second dataset as well.

From your first post, it sounds like you basically want something like 'frames' on a website? I don't know if you can do that, I've never seen it. Of course that doesn't mean you can't.

To split panes, just click in the cell where you want it split, and go to Window -> Split. Then each pane will act independently, when scrolling.

What exactly are you trying to do [why have the two datasets], and what sort of data is it?
Old 09-09-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another (easier, I think) way to do the split is to look for a small, horizontal bar directly above the vertical scroll bar on the right side of the worksheet. If you drag it down, it'll form a horizontal split screen. If you drag the middle of the bar, it'll line up to the cell grid. If you make the top split one cell height, you can have your headings stationary in the top window, with your scrollable data in the bottom. There's a similar handle on the bottom scroll bar if you want a vertical split.

Based on your original post, I'm not really understanding what you're trying to do. Maybe give a little more detail if that's not what you're looking for.
Old 09-30-05, 05:43 PM

Camera -

You need to add the little button to your toolbar to use it. Its not available in the menus at the top of excel. Right click anywhere in your toolbar, click customize, choose tools, choose Camera, the macro button is a picture of a camera.

This function let's you see a window of data from another tab in the same workbook. Not sure if you can use it to view from another workbook.

So you highlight the section you want to be able to see, click the camera button, goto another section of your spreadsheet where you are making data changes/input, your cursor has not changed to a cross (or + sign), click anywhere on the spreadsheet and a box pops up with the section you highlighted. Now as you enter data or make changes, your changes will be reflected in the box, assuming of course its a formula that's related to your input/change.

Hope this is clear enough.