Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help, fried power, did I kill the mobo, CPU, HD?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-07-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok folks, need your thoughts on how screwed I am. I just moved to Zurich from the US and was plugging in my desktop PC the other day and "pop" (and a little wasp of smoke). Turns out that the idiot that I am forgot to flip the switch on the back from 110v to 230v and to top it off the power switch was set to "on"....

So here's my question, what are the odds that just the power supply is fried and not my motherboard, CPU, graphics card, hard drive, etc.? I ordered another power supply and am wondering if I am going to have to replace the entire thing. I am hoping that the breaker in the power supply killed the connection so nothing else is dead but I am concerned.

Any thoughts...? Thanks

===========================================================
Edit:

Ok, so I got a new power supply, reconnected everything turned the power on and.....nothing..

The power supply starts up, the hard drive begins to whirl, the CD/DVD drives open, close...but nothing pops up, no boot, nothing.

Could the problem be the CPU, graphics card or is it the hard drive. I don't have a boot cd handy but I will have to try that.

I am running an AMD 3200 Barton chip
Asus motherboard,
Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128mb
WD 120gig hard drive
TDK&Lite-On DVD burners

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Last edited by Cheddarmuff; 09-10-05 at 04:32 AM.
Old 09-07-05, 11:38 AM
X
Administrator

I think there's a very good chance that it's just the power supply. You'd probably be able to see or smell some damage to the motherboard if it were damaged.

But since you hadn't turned the computer on, and the power supply would almost certainly have blown out before passing on the increased voltage (which it's made not to do anyway) I think you're ok.
Old 09-07-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks X...that's what I figured (was hoping) but was interested in other's thoughts. I couldn't be the first one to have done this...I hope. Thanks again.
Old 09-10-05, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New details in original post...any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-10-05, 12:56 PM
X
Administrator

That's not good.

Are you sure you plugged in all the power connectors to ghe motherboard? Does it have one of those extra 4 pin connectors by the CPU that provides additional power?

If you did I suppose it could be just about anything, but I'd suspect the motherboard first. It's hard to imagine it not getting fried before any other component.
Old 09-10-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with X's last post.

Check the mobo over carefully for burned spots. I would even take the board out of the case and look it over on both sides with a flashlight.

If it looks ok, then start from square one. mobo, cpu, memory (min amount), video, power and see if you can get any sign of life. Test or replace each component one at a time until you find it. (this of course is said by a geek who has several machines and stock pile of spare parts just laying around, I know it is easier for some of us to test)
Old 09-11-05, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey guys, thanks for your thoughts. The power supply comes with one of the extra 4 pin connectors but my motherboard/cpu doesn't have a connector for it (A7N8X-E Deluxe). I will pull the mobo out later today on scour for burn spots.

It is wierd, everything (HD, DVD drives, etc.) starts humming along but no beeps or anything of startus.

4KRG, actually if I hadn't just moved across the pond I would have spares of most components but my extra stuff is in storage.

I will post more after taking a look. Thanks again!!