Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hard Drive help!

Old 09-06-05, 06:47 PM

Hard Drive help!

One of my drives that has been working and has all my MP3's suddenly stopped working. I ran chkdsk on it and the error message was

Corrupt master file table. CHKDSK aborted.

Any way to fix it without formatting the hard drive?
Old 09-06-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you try booting into the Recovery Console and running the fixmbr command?

If you still can't get the drive to work, you should be able to recover the files using some recovery software. A few links to check out follow:
http://www.file-recovery.net/
http://www.ptdd.com/fixboot.htm

Here is another link with a ton of information related to your problem. I see no point in retyping it so check out the link.
http://help.lockergnome.com/lofivers...hp/t31395.html

Good luck and post your results!!
Old 09-07-05, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You wouldn't by chance have a second hard drive would you. Repairing MBR's is pretty rare. All of these utilities can retrieve the info, but not repair the drive's MBR. Even Window's own restore feature sucks.
Old 09-07-05, 05:54 AM
Banned

MBR is the Master Boot Record, not the Master File Table. Two totally different things.

Bad news is that it's not really "repairable".

Good news is that at least some of the files can be retrieved. You will need some form of file recovery software to get your files back. The partition on the drive is basically corruptted, and the pointers to your files may have been lost. But, a file recovery program will be able to access the drive data as a raw bunch of bits and hopefully find some valid MFT areas and thus find your files.

You'll need another drive to copy the recovered files to. After you've gotten all the files you can off the thing, you'll basically repartition and reformat the thing. Then I'd perform a full scan using some form of disk scanning program to identify and remap any bad areas of the disk, just in case.

Under no circumstances attempt to write anything to this drive in this state. Treat it as read-only. Writing data to it will overwrite other data already on it, guaranteed.
Old 09-07-05, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ooops. Yeah, I should have said MFT. Also, I wouldn't even touch the drive, even read only, until you have a second drive installed, and are ready to copy files.
Old 09-07-05, 01:49 PM

Dang. Thanks for the info. I have a data recovery software and have used it successfully before... but it's a 120 gig hard drive andit's gonna take a long friggin' time to scan the whole thing... oh well... as long as i can get the data back.