Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Motorola RAZR question

Old 09-06-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Motorola RAZR question

Hi. I recently got a new cell phone (the RAZR --black model). anyone it has a usb thing on the side but only came with the charger and nothing to connect it to a computer. I have a ringtone I composed on my computer that I want to transfer to my phone. First of all, the USB jack seems a lot smaller than the ones I've seen on firewires and so on. Also, I can't even figure out how to change my ringer (and have read the manual) since it only allows me to change the type of ring (loud, vibrate...and so on). Anyway, I have an .rtx file that I'd like to be my ringtone. Any ideas how to get it on there? It's not a ringtone you can download (or at least didn't seem to be available). The seller said that I could connect it via USB to my computer and use a ringtone software program to upload it, but the only one I have is a demo of something called Logo Manager and I don't want to buy the full version if I don't have to or if it won't guarantee to work. Any help would be......helpful. Thanks.
Old 09-06-05, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
First of all, the USB jack seems a lot smaller than the ones I've seen on firewires and so on.
It's called "mini-USB". It's a fairly commonplace standard nowadays,

Also, I can't even figure out how to change my ringer (and have read the manual) since it only allows me to change the type of ring (loud, vibrate...and so on).
Go to the icon menu (top center button), select the Settings icon, select the Audio Menu. Here you can select the five different types (loud, vibrate, and so on), and for each one, it has a menu under for that type's "detail". Select that, and you can set the various rings it will use for that type.

Also, for each contact, you can set them to have a personalized ringtone. That's in the settings under the contact itself.

Anyway, I have an .rtx file that I'd like to be my ringtone. Any ideas how to get it on there?
RTX is not the right file format. You'll need to convert it to an iMelody format, I think. Google for it, or check howardforums.com for converter programs.

The seller said that I could connect it via USB to my computer and use a ringtone software program to upload it, but the only one I have is a demo of something called Logo Manager and I don't want to buy the full version if I don't have to or if it won't guarantee to work. Any help would be......helpful. Thanks.
Logo Manager only works for Nokia phones. I've used it. It's nice, but you don't need old software like that thing. Most everything you can do you can do without any extra software.

Once you have it in the right format, you can use a USB->miniUSB cable and Motorola Phone Tools to transfer it (it'll transfer a midi file format, I think), or you can just use a USB Bluetooth adapter on your computer and no extra software (other than the normal bluetooth stack). I recommend using Bluetooth instead of a cable. The only real advantage to getting the cable is that then the phone can charge from the PC.

I recommend using Bluetooth. A USB BT adapter runs about $30 from a B&M store, less online. It works really well, although it can be slightly confusing at first for some people. But generally it's very easy to do. Adding or taking songs/pictures/videos off the phone is basically drag and drop.

Last edited by Otto; 09-06-05 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-06-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

awesome! thank you very much!

Last edited by dick_grayson; 09-06-05 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-10-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ok, well I think I have the ringtone thing figured out, but can't seem to connect my phone to my laptop. I got a mini-usb to usb cable and plugged it in, but it doesn't seem to register. Do you know if I need a program to some special driver to acknowledge it? Also, my receiver makes a buzzing sound whenever I'm anywhere near it with my phone. My subwoofer also makes this morse-code bee buzz sound also. I hope it doesn't mean I need a new receiver and stuff (although they are old and I should probably upgrade anyway). Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 09-10-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, I don't seem to get very good reception at home and it's half static, so I guess I'll have to take it back for a refund and cancel my contract (which should be easy ) Still, if it's buzzing do you think that it's the phone/receiver combo or if it has something to do with the provider. In other words, if I switch to Verizon and have the same phone, will it still buzz? Why doesn't anything I ever get seem to work?
Old 09-10-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, I don't seem to get very good reception at home and it's half static, so I guess I'll have to take it back for a refund and cancel my contract (which should be easy ) Still, if it's buzzing do you think that it's the phone/receiver combo or if it has something to do with the provider. In other words, if I switch to Verizon and have the same phone, will it still buzz? Why doesn't anything I ever get seem to work?
The problem is with GSM cell signals. The GSM wavelength can penetrate unshielded speaker wiring causing sound to come out of the speakers when powered.

This problem does not happen with Verizon, because they still use CDMA. I would just upgrade the cabling in my speaker system personally, GSM is a superior data system to CDMA.

As for the USB, you need Motorola Phone Tools software to get it to work.
Old 09-10-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that figures. thanks. I guess I should upgrade the speaker wires.....although I'm not sure what to look for exactly. thanks.
Old 09-10-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not exactly sure either. Sorry.
Old 09-14-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well I upgraded one of the wires, so who knows. I'll probably get to the others later in the week. also, is there a way to change it so that I have to enter in my pin to get into my voicemail? It goes straight in and I don't want a Paris Hilton thing happening to me.....especially since I got a ton of celebs phone numbers that they made me promise I would not give out.
Old 09-14-05, 09:57 PM

for those of you that have the RAZR, what do you think about the OS on it? i've only read negative things like you have to keep multiple entries for multiple numbers (like if a person has a home, work, and cell number, you have 3 different enteries instead of one)