Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Playing NTSC movies on a comp in a foreign land

Old 09-06-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Playing NTSC movies on a comp in a foreign land

Here's the situation.. My friend just went to Vienna and she brought her US laptop with her.. She wants to watch region 1 dvds on it which she can do fine.. What she would like to do is watch them on a TV using the laptop as a player... If she gets a device like avermedia to connect the PC to the TV will it display correctly on a PAL tv?
Old 09-06-05, 01:21 PM
X
Administrator

Only if the avermedia converts to PAL or is natively PAL.
Old 09-06-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so it would be a problem... can you or anyone suggest a product that would work?
Old 09-06-05, 01:36 PM
X
Administrator

For one thing, it depends on the TV. If it has component inputs you could use a transcoder and get very good quality (at least as good as the notebook's video card is capable of). That would probably be in the $100 - 200 range.

There should be converters available in Europe that will take a VGA signal and convert to scart or PAL s-video, just as we have NTSC ones here. I don't know what they are though.

VGA to scart sure looks easy, looks like just the timings have to be changed. If the TV has a scart input that could be the way to go.

http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/pc/012/
Old 09-06-05, 01:52 PM

FYI: About 95% of 'modern' (not older than 8-10 years) European TV's are capable of handling both PAL and NTSC signals. For example, I don't know of one single person who has a TV that cannot handle an NTSC signal.
Old 09-06-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mark_vdH
FYI: About 95% of 'modern' (not older than 8-10 years) European TV's are capable of handling both PAL and NTSC signals. For example, I don't know of one single person who has a TV that cannot handle an NTSC signal.

really? why don't US manufacturers do the same (handle PAL as well)?
Old 09-06-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mark_vdH
I was going to mention that. Multi standard televisions are the norm in many places outside North America. I'm not sure if there is a switch or remote setting that changes the TV input between PAL and NTSC (and probably SECAM too) but there will be a very good chance that the TV in Vienna can handle NTSC.
Old 09-06-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
really? why don't US manufacturers do the same (handle PAL as well)?
I'm guessing because the North American market is strictly NTSC. The European market is a bunch of small countries with a combination of different types of PAL and SECAM systems (I'm talking broadcast television and video recorders, DVD is just PAL there) so it's easier to manufacture one television for the entire European market and make it multi format.

Last edited by cultshock; 09-06-05 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-06-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wouldn't it be easier and cheaper for ,say, Sony to create 1 TV that handles all 3 formats (NTSC, PAL and SECAM) than have 3 factories or plants cranking out all different types of tvs?
Old 09-08-05, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
wouldn't it be easier and cheaper for ,say, Sony to create 1 TV that handles all 3 formats (NTSC, PAL and SECAM) than have 3 factories or plants cranking out all different types of tvs?
I've always thought the same.

I remember Sony being the first to have the multi standard TV. When I had an imported SNES it was the only brand that could handle an NTSC signal. Eveyone in the "serious" European gaming community (PAL gamers were fucked back then because of PAL slow down and large black borders) was advised to buy a Sony TV if they owned an imported US (or Jap.) SNES. Soon after that (around '93-'95) all other major brands followed suit. It may have been a coincidence, but it always seemed to me that may have been the reason back then.