Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Thinking about building a media PC for my TV - Any thoughts?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-05-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have some money to blow so I was thinking of building a PC with a tuner card to watch media files through my TV... Anyone have any thoughts? I tested it today just using my current PC for a proof of concept and I got it working.... Any recommendations on parts or specs would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-05, 07:32 PM
X
Administrator

Regular TV through a PC isn't all that great. HDTV and DVDs are really good though. And how good it'll look depends on what the media files are.

I wouldn't bother for just standard definition TV. And you better have better than an s-video input for your TV.
Old 09-05-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by X
Regular TV through a PC isn't all that great. HDTV and DVDs are really good though. And how good it'll look depends on what the media files are.

I wouldn't bother for just standard definition TV. And you better have better than an s-video input for your TV.

sorry.. should've specified.. it would mostly for watching avis of tv shows and 100% legal torrents of dvds
Old 09-05-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
sorry.. should've specified.. it would mostly for watching avis of tv shows and 100% legal torrents of dvds
Questions:

Why do you need a tuner for those?

What's a legal dvd torrent look like?
Old 09-05-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stevevt
Questions:

Why do you need a tuner for those?

What's a legal dvd torrent look like?

i guess i don't need a tuner then.. just an avi output to the tv... right?

a legal dvd torrent was meant with a little sarcasm
Old 09-05-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This post brings up a couple of points I would like to ask for those with HTPCs...please forgive my ignorance in advance.

X, you mentioned that regular tv (I assume you are referring to SD) would not look any better. Is it not possible to upconvert a SD program like some dvd players do with dvds? Also, along those lines, do you think that superbit titles are easier to get to near HD resolution that a regular dvd? I guess I am looking for another selling point for my wife.
Old 09-05-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
I have some money to blow so I was thinking of building a PC with a tuner card to watch media files through my TV... Anyone have any thoughts? I tested it today just using my current PC for a proof of concept and I got it working.... Any recommendations on parts or specs would be appreciated.
Check this site and the forums for some good info:
http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php
Old 09-06-05, 12:03 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by cajun_junky
X, you mentioned that regular tv (I assume you are referring to SD) would not look any better. Is it not possible to upconvert a SD program like some dvd players do with dvds? Also, along those lines, do you think that superbit titles are easier to get to near HD resolution that a regular dvd? I guess I am looking for another selling point for my wife.
I use a program called DScaler that deinterlaces and upconverts SD. It provides the best picture from an SD signal that I've seen on a computer. But when blown up to a large screen SD just doesn't contain enough information to look very good.

Superbits look really good but it's still not really HD resolution. But I don't find I have a need for an image that looks any better than a good DVD (some non-Superbits look just as good).
Old 09-06-05, 12:52 PM
Banned

An algorithimic approach cannot create information that isn't there to begin with. You can try to fake it as best you can by using interpolation and such, but what's gone is gone. Upconverting SD to HD simply can't be done convincingly. Not really.

Superbit makes no real difference, as the resolution is still DVD resolution. All superbit does is to up the bitrate reducing compression artifacts.
Old 09-06-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I knew it would not be true HD resolution but I was more curious if it made any noticable difference with SD.

thanks for the info!