Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Replacing a Laptop screen

Old 09-04-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Replacing a Laptop screen

So...thanks to my kids my laptop screen is done

I've done some research and it looks like I can order a replacement for about 250 on ebay, which isn't bad since compusa quoted me 1,200 to replace it Description tells me this is only the screen, it doesn't include the laptop cover. So I would have to crack open the laptop cover and slide the old screen out and insert the new one...I guess.

Has anyone ever done this? On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being super difficult, how would you rate this type of job?

Just for reference I have no problems building my own desktop PC, or installing components. Just trying to get a feel for how long something like this might take?

OS is XP Pro
Old 09-04-05, 09:49 PM
X
Administrator

I'm pretty willing to do just about anything with a computer. But I haven't done that yet and never really wanted to.

I would suggest opening up your screen first to see how difficult it would be. It could be simple if you see that it would just slide in there. But if you screw it up you're at least not losing anything before you buy the screen.
Old 09-04-05, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deadpool
Has anyone ever done this? On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being super difficult, how would you rate this type of job?
It's about an 8. The hard parts are:
a) Cracking open the area around the screen without damaging it. Those screens generally are not designed to be replaced, so the cases are not designed to be opened.
b) Putting in the new screen without cracking it. LCD's can be fragile.
c) Attaching it to the mainboard. If you're lucky, it just plugs in. If you're not so lucky, you'll have to desolder the thing and resolder the new one, and PCB soldering is fiddly work. Screw it up and you not only have a dead screen, but a dead laptop. Worst case is you short the thing and the battery overheats/explodes. Lithium Ion batteries are finicky about shorts, so I recommend being damned careful that the soldering is good before attaching the battery.
Old 09-04-05, 10:39 PM
Cool New Member

I have a couple certifications and I have done this several times. It can be difficult, I have done it several times in the past. The best way is to have a Professional do it. But if you want to try it, it ranks between a 8-9. If you need help message me.
Old 09-05-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Otto
It's about an 8. The hard parts are...
Good grief - that's an 8? What does a 10 entail?

- David Stein
Old 09-05-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
a 10 would include booby traps!
Old 09-05-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why don't you get a few more quotes -- depending on the age of the system, it might be worth your while to get a new laptop.
Old 09-05-05, 07:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by goLUCKY
a 10 would include booby traps!
Defusing a bomb would go all the way up to 11.

sfsdfd: It doesn't get a 10 because you can mitigate the risks. Most laptops will work without a battery if they're plugged into AC power. So you can usually test it without fear of having a LiON explode on you. And soldering is not that hard, but if you haven't done it before this isn't something you want to attempt on your first try.

And there's no heavy lifting involved. Can't be a 10 without heavy lifting.

To put it in perspective, I would rate ordering a bunch of parts and building a working computer from those parts at about a 3. If it's a top of the line computer with all the cool gadgets, it'd be a 4. If it had water cooling, I'd rate it a 5.

Last edited by Otto; 09-05-05 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-06-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the insight everyone.

Well, I took it apart. Went pretty well but the amount of little teeny tiny screws I have now gives me a headache. I ended up ordering a laptop this evening Just for reference the laptop was a Compaq evo n1020v. If I can catch a screen on auction for under 100 I'll pick it up and if I can install the thing.
Old 09-06-05, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Why would you pay $1200 to replace it when you could buy a Dell machine w/ coupon for less than that.