Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Almost 24 Hour battery life on my 1st Gen iPod!

Old 09-02-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Almost 24 Hour battery life on my 1st Gen iPod!

Hey all,

I just replaced my dying battery in my 1st Generation iPod. It was a Newer Technology brand 2100 mAh battery that I received as a gift. After one charge, I let it run from 7am Thursday morning and it didnt' die until after 5 am the next morning. I let it run with volume half way up, and had headphones attachted! I am very impressed!

Just thought I would share,

Matt
Old 09-03-05, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, that's pretty cool. What was the batt life before? Was the new batt hard to install?

-Gunshy
Old 09-03-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello....

The battery life on the old one was ranging from 1/3 hour to 2 hours, because it was going bad. The new battery (which came with the plastic prying tools) took less than 2 minutes (literally) to install.

Later,

Matt
Old 09-03-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
And where could one get this magic battery...?
Old 09-03-05, 03:33 PM
Banned

Roque: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ipod/batteryreplacement/
Old 09-03-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

an external battery charger can be used on this?
Old 09-03-05, 07:06 PM
Banned

Ranger: What do you mean? It's just a replacement for the existing battery. The same chargers that the iPod already uses will still work.
Old 09-03-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Otto,

Thanks for posting that link. Yea, it's the $29.99 one, the part number on that site is: NWTBIPOD2100M12.

Here's a direct link to the battery: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer.../BIPOD2100M12/

There was a special going on, and the 2nd day air shipping was cheaper than ground -- so I received it in 2 days....

I'm very impressed with it!

Later,

Matt
Old 09-03-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I wasn't sure if the Ipods included an external battery charger since I got the impression that most people just recharge through usb but then I figure that would take too long. But if there's an ipod external battery charger, how long does it take to recharge this batter? Is it any good or would people be better off buying a better battery charger separately?
Old 09-04-05, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
Well, I wasn't sure if the Ipods included an external battery charger since I got the impression that most people just recharge through usb but then I figure that would take too long. But if there's an ipod external battery charger, how long does it take to recharge this batter? Is it any good or would people be better off buying a better battery charger separately?
1st Gen iPods use firewire, but all iPods come with a charger adapter that plugs into the firewire cable (or USB on the 4th Gen) and then plugs into an outlet. You can charge it with the PC, but its much faster to charge it with an outlet.
Old 09-04-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think there's still a little confusion here, I'm talking about like if I bought two of those new batteries, I install the first in the ipod, recharge the ipod's new battery with the outlet charger, but for the second battery that is not in the ipod yet, is there a charger that can charge it separately before putting it in the ipod so that it can be good to go as soon as I put it in the ipod?
Old 09-04-05, 01:55 AM
Banned

No. These are not really designed to be user servicable. If you're not comfortable plugging components into a board, then maybe you should have somebody else do it for you.
Old 09-04-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I'm comfortable with plugging in the thing, but I just don't see why this isn't so. I mean, if I'm bringing along an ipod on a really long camping trip, I'd want to also bring along a fully-charged extra ipod battery.
Old 09-04-05, 04:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ranger
Well, I'm comfortable with plugging in the thing, but I just don't see why this isn't so. I mean, if I'm bringing along an ipod on a really long camping trip, I'd want to also bring along a fully-charged extra ipod battery.
The battery is not normally user replacable. It's not like popping off the cover and putting in a couple of AA's. You basically have to disassemble the iPod to put the battery in. I don't know about you, but I don't normally take apart sensitive electronics in the forest.

Here's a picture of the thing. If you want to make a separate charger for it, knock yourself out:

And here's a PDF document showing how to install it: http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_cente...dbattery72.pdf

Last edited by Otto; 09-04-05 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-04-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks a bunch for the site. Just ordered one from my wife's ipod.
She received the ipod as a gift from George "run run" Jones the PR director for the Oakland Raiders.

Ipod:

Good old "run run" Jones: