Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Cel phone virus?

Old 09-02-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cel phone virus?

I was using my cel phone yesterday and i had just hung up when I realized I got a message. However I realized that I could not take the message as I was driving down rt 1 just north of SF. (Anybody that has been there knows that using your cell phone on this road is just crazy.)

Anyway, I stop to get gas and I check my phone and the outer screen does not work, then I check the main inner screen and it is on but I can't see anything it is blank. Now the odd thing is that I can still use the phone by dialing the numbers and I can receive calls but I can't see the menu.

So did that message contain a virus or did my screens just suddenly die?
Old 09-02-05, 12:28 PM
Banned

Is it a flip open type phone? Most of those are designed to turn off the screen after a period of inactivity and sometimes the screens don't come on again until you close and open them. Furthermore, lots of the software on them is buggy and the thing won't come on again at all until you turn the phone off and back on.

There are cell phone viruses, but the odds of receiving one are slim to none, and even then you have to accept the program embedded in the message on nearly every one out there.
Old 09-02-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it is a flip phone. I turned it off, removed the battery and the same thing is happening. I realize a virus is very very rare but it seems suspicious that I got the message right before it died.