Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm abit confused, does this mobo have hardware RAID?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-01-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm putting together a computer/file server for my father, and am considering the Abit AW8-Max motherboard.
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=276
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127209

I'm going to probably be using RAID 5, and I'm confused as to whether or not this mobo has an onboard RAID controller, and if it does RAID 5. Neither page goes into much detail about it, and it kind of looks as though it has an onboard raid controller, but the Abit page mentions RAID 5 while the newegg page doesn't. Any help?
Old 09-01-05, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it has 2 in fact. The Intel Matrix RAID has 4 connectors and can support RAID 0/1/10/5 and use "Matrix RAID", which is basically an Intel inovation of using partitions to create arrays. Do a search for "Intel Matrix RAID" for more info.

It also has a 2 SIS RAID connectors. Because there are only 2 connectors you are limited to RAID 1 or 0.
Old 09-01-05, 08:13 AM
Banned

Sweet zombie jesus, that is one expensive mobo. Might as well spring for the Asus P5AD2 at that price. And the P5AD2 is one of those boards in a class by itself.

Seriously, that is a way overpriced board for what it has feature-wise. Does your dad really need a major high end mobo in the first place? And if he does, then I really recommend looking at Asus boards instead. Much better value.
Old 09-01-05, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Otto
Sweet zombie jesus, that is one expensive mobo. Might as well spring for the Asus P5AD2 at that price. And the P5AD2 is one of those boards in a class by itself.

Seriously, that is a way overpriced board for what it has feature-wise. Does your dad really need a major high end mobo in the first place? And if he does, then I really recommend looking at Asus boards instead. Much better value.
The Asus only supports up to 4gb though, right? I don't know what exactly my dad wants to do with it, but he says he wants a mobo that can support a sh*tload of memory.

Originally Posted by wmansir
Yes, it has 2 in fact. The Intel Matrix RAID has 4 connectors and can support RAID 0/1/10/5 and use "Matrix RAID", which is basically an Intel inovation of using partitions to create arrays. Do a search for "Intel Matrix RAID" for more info.

It also has a 2 SIS RAID connectors. Because there are only 2 connectors you are limited to RAID 1 or 0.
Thanks.
Old 09-01-05, 01:07 PM

I can't imagine what your dad would do that would need 4GB of memory. Heck, even 2GB is much more than enough to do anything on a desktop PC. With memory prices, I recommend at least 1GB.

The Asus P4C800-E Deluxe supports up to 6.4GB of memory, and is a 875 chipset board. So does the P4P800-E Deluxe, which is a 865 chipset board.
Old 09-01-05, 01:23 PM
Banned

I cannot think of anything that would really use 4 GB of memory in a home application. Hell, I operate major servers that run 4 CPUs and databases and everything else under the sun with less than 4GB of memory.

More than a gig is probably overkill.
Old 09-01-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what your father wants to do with the system, but W2K/XP/W2K3 Standard will only support up to 4GB of RAM. Anymore, you will need the Advanced version.