Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

got a cd with files on it (.dat and .vcd)

Old 08-31-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

got a cd with files on it (.dat and .vcd)

from a friend so its not a virus but they are .dat files and .vcd files. its suppose to be a audio cd (so he says).

what type of files are they and how do i play/run them?
Old 08-31-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

theres also a .cfg file on there. help with that one too.

thanks.
Old 08-31-05, 04:31 PM
Banned

How big is the DAT file? If it's very large, then you probably have a VideoCD (aka VCD). Download a program called VCDGear, and it'll let you convert the DAT into an MPG which you can play with media player.

You might also have a Blue Book CD (both an audio CD and data for a computer program or what have you), in which case you should load up an audio CD player manually and see if there's actual audio tracks on the disc that you don't see immediately.

VideoCD's can also be played by all DVD playing software, and most standalone DVD players.

Last edited by Otto; 08-31-05 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-31-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I think media player can play dats directly (because at least once I played a vcd back on my old win98 system and it was long before I started downloading and installing all sorts of video codecs). have to use file-open view all types to be able to select it though
Old 09-01-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep. Windows Media Player can play DAT files directly. Just right click the file, click Open With and then select Media Player. If it's really a VCD file, it will play fine.