Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help with reoccuring BSOD!

Old 08-31-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Help with reoccuring BSOD!

So this Blue Screen error has happened six times in the past ten days. Including twice last night and once this morning. This is on my stepfather's computer, so I have never physically been present to see the error happen.

Going into the computer's log, it tells me that the error is this:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000047, 0x80521b50, 0xb34e53f8, 0x0000000)

I've dumpchecked the minidumps and ran pstat.exe and tried to match up numbers but couldn't find anything. On all the errors, the stop code and first two and last parameters are always the same. The third parameter (the trap frame? what's that?) will vary. I've cruised the windows developer's site trying to find out information, but that has been limited at best.

I've found one webpage where someone has a somewhat similar problem, but it's in dutch. I translated in babel but it doesn't look like the person solved their problem.

Running WinXP Pro, SP2. So... suggestions on what to do or check? Thanks a whole bunch.
Old 08-31-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a similar error recently (STOP: 0x0000008E) and it turned out to be a bad memory module.
Old 08-31-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Same thing happened to me, and it was due to bad RAM. This error can also be caused by bad sectors on your hard drive.

Download memtest86 (a program to test your RAM) here I would suggest downloading the ISO and burning it to a CD and booting off that to test it, but you can test from within Windows as well.

Come back here, if RAM is not the problem.
Old 08-31-05, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nazgul
I had a similar error recently (STOP: 0x0000008E) and it turned out to be a bad memory module.
is there a good program/test to run to check and see if that's the problem? thanks for the reply.
Old 08-31-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
is there a good program/test to run to check and see if that's the problem? thanks for the reply.
As Brian Stew mentioned Memtest 86 is good, however it did not detect errors with my stick of RAM. To be fair, I ran MemTest 86+ because it had explicit support for my proc and chipset.

A good d/l location is here. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Burn the ISO and then set the PC to boot off the CD, then follow the menu to MemTest. *Edit - Brian Stew mentioned this as well*
Old 08-31-05, 03:41 PM

thanks for the replies. apparently i posted my program question as brainstew was posting his answer. i'll give the program a whirl and update accordingly. thanks again.
Old 08-31-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quicktech software would do it
Old 09-01-05, 01:45 PM

how long is memtest+ suppose to run?

i'm approaching hour 22 and pass #44 with only 1 gig of ram in there.
Old 09-01-05, 05:10 PM

so I found another thread that something to the effect of memtest should run 24 hours.

so 24 hours later, 50 passes, and no errors, i've ruled out the ram being the issue.

so what is next that i should check out?

thanks again for all the help. i really appreciate it.
Old 09-01-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Try running a chkdsk.

Inside windows, type cmd in the run box on the start menu.

When the comand line window comes up, type "chkdsk" Tell us if it finds any errors.

You could also, boot up off the XP CD and go into the recovery console and type chkdsk /f this would check the disk and try to fix any errors it sees.
Old 09-01-05, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
You could also, boot up off the XP CD and go into the recovery console and type chkdsk /f this would check the disk and try to fix any errors it sees.
chkdsk /f doesn't appear to be an option.

there's chkdsk /p and /r.

i have other winXP cds. should i try those, would that make a difference at all?
Old 09-01-05, 09:44 PM

so I used the /r option and and apparently the errors have been fixed on both hard drives.

should i just wait now and see if the bsod returns? any other things to check out?

again, i appreciate all the help.
Old 09-01-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so I used the /r option and and apparently the errors have been fixed on both hard drives.

should i just wait now and see if the bsod returns? any other things to check out?

again, i appreciate all the help.
I apologize, I told you the wrong argument. "/r" is the right one.

I would just hang tight until the next BSOD. Sounds like it was a HD problem. Glad you got it resolved!

Last edited by Brain Stew; 09-01-05 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-02-05, 02:51 PM

well, it happened again late last night. my stepfather tells me that he has to unplug the computer just to be able to restart the computer. i'm never around when it happens and it makes me wonder if it's something my stepfather is doing. i ask him what he's doing at the time it happens and he says just normal stuff like email, whathaveyou.

the system was reformated on the 16th of August. At that time I updated all the drivers and added a secondary hard drive. i don't have a jumper switch for the second drive, so on the first drive i changed the switch to master w/slave. could this be causing a problem at all? both drives have been recognized by bios and windows. write data to them both all the time.

could it be the video driver? or a certain program running? what's the next best thing to check?
Old 09-02-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is sometimes caused by drivers.
Old 09-02-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here's an answer straight from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q315335