Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Display problem!

Old 08-31-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Display problem!

Hey guys! Got a problem. Perhaps it's simple to fix, but I've never encountered this before. So I'm stumped. My brother's PC works fine in 800X600 resolution. But when he switches to 1024X768, the desktop is squeezed and there are black bars on the left and right of the desktop, almost like a 4:3 image on a 16:9 widescreen, unstretched. It's an older Dell M990 monitor. Works fine, other than this problem. He has a new Geforce 6600GT video card. I've tried fooling around with the monitors geometry, to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I said, I've never seen this problem before.
Old 08-31-05, 01:38 AM
X
Administrator

Sounds like the wrong refresh rate.
Old 08-31-05, 02:32 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you've played with the geometry. have you also played with the horizonal and vertical size controls on the monitor?
Old 08-31-05, 03:07 AM

The refresh rate is 60Hz. As for the horizontal and vertical size controls, yes, and I can make it look better. But still not quite perfect. It's still a bit off. The problem is even if I turn horizontal size all the way up to max, the edges of the desktop still don't reach the sides of the screen. I can't figure it out.

Last edited by Terrell; 08-31-05 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-31-05, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
The optimal refresh rates for the Dell M990 at 1024x768 are 75 and 85Hz. Try going into the advanced video settings and kicking the refresh rate up to one of those and see fi it helps.
Old 08-31-05, 07:57 AM

Yep, that worked! We bumped it up to 75Hz and it fixed it perfectly. Thanks Mike for the help! Thanks X and HN.