Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How do I change default save directory for all applications

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-30-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is there a way to change the default directory so that all files opened by any program get saved to the same place?

For example, when I save media files the most recent directory I was in always appears. I hate having to navigate to the correct folder. Word handles this nicely via "File locations" but programs like Media Player don't have a setting--is there anything I can do?
Old 08-30-05, 11:22 PM
X
Administrator

Not that I know of.

I suppose if you changed all the shortcuts to start in a particular directory you'd have a chance, but the programs might not end up working correctly.
Old 09-01-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks X
Old 09-03-05, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, X is right. The thing is, and I hope I'm not off-base in saying this, the (default) behavior of the "open file" dialogs you bemoan are controlled on a program-by-program basis for the most part. So it all depends on if the coder(s) bothered to save the last directory visited, say to the registry, in order to put you there the next time. This could be done during one program run, or again, saved somewhere for the next run. I use Multi-Edit which is a really good editor and this big app doesn't do this and there's no way to make it do this (which is silly with so many good features and configs).

Mac users, does OS X get this right by remembering the last folder accessed across apps? Linux?

-Gunshy
Old 09-03-05, 03:30 PM
Banned

Generally, this sort of thing isn't all that hard if you use the My Documents folder for most things. There are those 5 shortcuts on the left hand side of the XP style dialogs that take you right to those locations.