Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

New PC - Comcast slower than on other computers?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-30-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hi - I asked this at the end of my HTPC thread last week but I think that thread is dead now and this really isn't HTPC related, anyway.

For some reason on the new PC I built I am only getting about 800k-1Mb d/l speeds on a wired cat5 connection to my router. On my laptop (wireless) and my desktop (wired) upstairs I am getting constant speed s of 4Mb+.

What could be causing this? I did a speed tweak thing to the registry but it had no effect whatsoever. I also don't even know what to search for on google to help me with this. I have made sure the ethernet driver was updated.

I'm stumped - anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm stumped on that as well nevermind. Are you running a network adapter card or using the onboard mobo LAN? Looks like a call to Comcast technical support might be in order.
Old 08-31-05, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell
I'm stumped on that as well nevermind. Are you running a network adapter card or using the onboard mobo LAN? Looks like a call to Comcast technical support might be in order.
Onboard Gigabit LAN. Maybe I'll try a seperate card.

Comcast will politely tell me to fuck off, because a router is involved .

Thanks for the reply though, I'll keep looking.
Old 08-31-05, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
By "speed tweak thing to the registry" do you mean you ran DrTCP and changed the RWIN? Are you familiar with the site dslreports.com? There is a whole little community there devoted to fixing issues like this. I would start in the tools area with TweakTester.
Old 08-31-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
By "speed tweak thing to the registry" do you mean you ran DrTCP and changed the RWIN? Are you familiar with the site dslreports.com? There is a whole little community there devoted to fixing issues like this. I would start in the tools area with TweakTester.
I'm familiar with dslreports but thought I'd ask here first before registering & posting over there. I think DrTCP is what I used but I'll check when I get home. Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-31-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use SpeedGuide's TCP/IP Optimizer 2.0, but it's the same principle as DrTCP. You basically change the Receive Window value, plus a few other settings. But I don't think that is your problem.

My suggestion is save yourself some trouble, call Comcast tech support.
Old 08-31-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From the "This is something to try but probably won't Help" department. If you have a spare NIC sitting around somewhere, throw that in and see if your speed inproves using the card. Perhaps theres a problem with your onboard lan port. Also you could do a search for updated drivers for your mobo. One question I do have is what kind of mobo do you have?
Old 09-03-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Forgot about this thread. Been doing other things all week and just downloading stuff from my laptop.

Terrell - because I'm using a router, Comcast will tell me to fuck off . I know from experience.

gregx55 - I don't have a spare NIC but I'm gonna buy one, see if it changes anything, and if not, return it.

The drivers are updated on my mobo, which is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127187

The bios is not updated on it (I don't think). But they are making me use a floppy to do it, which I don't have. Plus the screen I'm supposed to see (according to their website) to determine my bios version does not show up during boot.
Old 09-03-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I figured it out. Looking at hundreds of posts over at broadband reports I decide I was going to register and post the results. I was going to answer all 11 questions before I registered. I could not figure out how to make myself pingable so I went into my router and disabled block WAN. I then noticed that the IP this computer is on was in the DMZ. It shouldn't be. Then I remembered that IP was for my XBox before (which I haven't used in a while). I got that ip out of the DMZ, ran a test, and I'm on par with my other PCs now.

Any reason why being in the DMZ would slow it down, and if I decide to play online games at some point in the future, will I have to be in the DMZ (and will it affect me)

Thanks!

<-------------- Happy I have normal speeds