Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to "verify" iTunes song files using backup software?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-29-05, 10:28 AM

I've had Nero for a couple of years now, and decided to try out the Nero BackItUp program to see if it was easier than my standard backup routine. When it got to a certain disc, I got tons of "read errors" on the "verification" stage of the backup. Once that disc was finished, I checked to see what files were on the disc. It had some photos and a few other miscellaneous files, but mostly it had protected AAC files downloaded from iTunes. I tried playing a couple, and they all worked. So, it looks as if my backup is fine, but those read errors are bothering me. I'm thinking that because the files are protected, Nero is unable to properly read the file is and giving me "read errors" during the verification stage. Is this logical, or do you think there's a problem with my backup set? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-05, 10:53 AM
Banned

The "protection" has nothing to do with whether a program can read them or not. Despite being "protected", they're just files, like any other file. It's a bunch of bits in a row, there's nothing inherently special about it.

So no, the protection wouldn't make any difference as far as backup software goes. If it found a problem, then there is a real problem.
Old 08-29-05, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Otto
If it found a problem, then there is a real problem.
Is there any way to figure out what the problem was? Is it likely a faulty CDR? Maybe I'll just try again and see what happens.