Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can this HD enclosure take ATA drives?

Old 08-28-05, 09:23 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can this HD enclosure take ATA drives?

Link to HD Enclosure

I have a Dell 4600 that uses ATA drives. Can I use this enclosure and buy a 300GB ATA, not a SATA drive, and use it? Is there anyway for me to use a SATA drive with my Dell or would it not work?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-05, 10:58 AM
X
Administrator

It should work. It says it handles large ATA (IDE) drives. I'm concerned that it doesn't appear to have an internal fan and could build up heat on the drive. You should find some reviews on it and see what people say about that.

You can get an SATA add-in card for your Dell or you can get SATA<->ATA converter modules.
Old 08-28-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a model that looks just like that, except its body is white, not black. I'm going to assume it's the same manufacturer (though mine has both USB and Firewire connections.)

I've got a 200G ATA drive in there and it works just fine. Doesn't really get too hot either.
Old 08-28-05, 11:39 AM
X
Administrator

Does the drive not get too hot or does the enclosure not get too hot?

Where there isn't a fan the idea is for the enclosure to draw the heat away from the drive so the enclosure should be getting pretty warm and the drive should be just about the same. If the enclosure is staying cool the drive could be baking and not conducting its heat to the enclosure. I doubt this is a metal case so I would be concerned about the heat conduction.

The amount of heat the drive produces makes a big difference too. Some run much hotter than others. I recently got a 160GB WD drive that runs amazingly cooler than any drive I've had over the 120GB size.
Old 08-28-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
Does the drive not get too hot or does the enclosure not get too hot?
To be honest, I don't know. I haven't taken the drive out to see if it's warmer than the exterior.

But it's been running for several months now and I haven't had any issues. The enclosure can get a little warm but nothing that has me concerned.
Old 08-28-05, 07:36 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've heard that having a fan is a good idea due to the overheating. I think that I will pay a bit extra and get one with a fan since the room that we have the PC in gets a tad warm at time.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-28-05, 07:39 PM
X
Administrator

Often enclosures use external power supplies that at least negate the need for a fan to cool the power supply. But for a hard drive they really need to be metal cases that conduct the heat away from the drive.
Old 08-28-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
I recently got a 160GB WD drive that runs amazingly cooler than any drive I've had over the 120GB size.
It is interesting that you brought this up. I also bought a WD 160G recently and noticed that it was running cool but thought it was my imagination. I have it in a CompUSA aluminum case and it is working great.