Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Standby vs Hibernate (WinXP)

Old 08-27-05, 10:12 PM

Standby vs Hibernate (WinXP)

Can someone please tell me the difference between "standby" and "hibernate" mode? They both turn the computer off (set for 1 hour) so I can save energy if I go out or goto sleep and leave computer on... But does one save more energy than the other? They both put me right back where I left off, too.

The reason I ask is because when I use "hibernate", sometimes I can't trun my computer back on unless I turn off both the power strip and the main power supply switch in the back and turn them back on after several attempts...

When I use "standby", the computer powers on fine, but the power LED flashes...
Old 08-27-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hibernation

Hibernation, which reduces the start time, saves the complete state of the computer and turns off the power. When you resume from hibernation the BIOS performs the typical Power On Self Test (POST), and then reads the hibernation file, Hiberfil.sys, to restore the state of the computer. Everything that was running when you put the computer in hibernation is restored.

Standby

In standby, the computer slows down and uses less electrical power. Programs continue to run in the background although the computer may appears to be off. The computer "wakes up" when it detects user input. With some computers, you can
press the power button to wake up the computer.

Note: If your computer experiences a power outage during standby, all work that you have not saved is lost because the computer is still running in the background.
Old 08-28-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love hibernation. No fuss, no hassle. Anytime I don't use the computer anymore, I just hit the power button and the computer goes into hibernation. Turn it back on, and I am back to the same state as I was before in less 20 seconds.
Old 08-28-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like hibernation as well, except I wake the computer from hibernation by tapping the space bar once. I don't even want to hit the power or rest buttons. If I restart, I can do it from the start menu.
Old 08-28-05, 01:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by guppie
Can someone please tell me the difference between "standby" and "hibernate" mode? They both turn the computer off (set for 1 hour) so I can save energy if I go out or goto sleep and leave computer on... But does one save more energy than the other?
In simple terms:
-Standby puts the system into a "low power" mode. It turns most bits off, but the system itself is still actually on and using some small amount of juice. It can wakeup relatively quickly.
-Hibernate actually saves the running state of the computer to the hard drive, including the complete contents of your memory, then physically shuts off the machine. It's not getting any power, or at least, no more than if you had used the power button. When you turn it back on, it sees that file on the drive, loads the contents into memory, resets the CPU state, then deletes the file. This puts it right back where it was, more or less. It's a little slower to go to sleep and to wake up, especially if you have a lot of memory in the machine, plus you have to have enough free disk space to store all that data.

The reason I ask is because when I use "hibernate", sometimes I can't trun my computer back on unless I turn off both the power strip and the main power supply switch in the back and turn them back on after several attempts...
Turning it on from hibernate should be no different than turning it on after a normal shutdown. As far as the hardware is concerned, the two states are identical.

I would suggest looking into your power supply, if the problems you describe are happening as you state them. It may be going bad, or you may have a bad switch, or you may have bad wiring, or something along those lines.
Old 08-28-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does all of your hardware have the most recent version of drivers installed?

Originally Posted by otto
Turning it on from hibernate should be no different than turning it on after a normal shutdown. As far as the hardware is concerned, the two states are identical.
I disagree. Turning back on from Hibernate is far more complex and leaves room for errors than an initial powerup from an off position. Drivers must be written to support hibernate and although most are, some could need updating
Old 08-29-05, 10:35 PM

I'll look into it. I currently have Asus P4P800 mobo and I'm afraid to update to latest BIOS as I don't want to screw it up or fry my computer....
Old 08-29-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just turn mine off. It takes < 20 seconds or so to bootup and me to run something (2-3 seconds of that is BIOS wait time at the IDE/SATA RAID controller step saved if I hit ESC), why bother with the hibernate/standy stuff? Especially since Hibernate is flakey.

a64 2800+
1GB PC3200
Radeon 9800pro
Gigabyte K8NPRO socket 754 board

NO uneccessary apps at start up...ATI control panel, that's pretty much it.

I think my different DVD players have all taken longer to boot up, tell me "HELLO" or whatever, open, put a disc in, and get to the menu, than my PC takes to boot up.
Old 08-30-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, some people think, and I've even read this in manuals, that continually starting up and powering off your PC by the front panel buttons puts more wear and tear on your components that using standby or hibernate does. I don't think there are any hardcore studies on whether it's better to turn your PC on and off or just to leave it on or hibernate it. If there are, I've haven't read them. I have read articles from so-called experts. There are pros and cons to both.