Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

what is deal with 5MP digicams?

Old 08-27-05, 07:49 PM

what is deal with 5MP digicams?

Just curious, I own Pentax Optio (5MP) and I've also used Canon Rebel (7MP) and Sony (5MP) and I have yet to capture any image above 3MP!!! What is the deal? I have each camera setup for the highest image quality too! I just got back from Mount Rainier and Mount Olympus and I still didn't get an image greater than 3MP!!!

I understand that a 5MP camera allows for better image printing for larger size prints like 8x10, but I hardly ever print anything over 5x7...

I am going to buy a new digicam (Pentax broken). Does it make any sense for me to buy another 5MP digicam or can I get away with a 4MP digicam? I'm thinking of a 4MP Nikon or 5MP Canon...

Thanks
Old 08-28-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What do you mean by "I have yet to capture any image above 3MP!!!"? Do you mean the file larger than 3MB or you're not setting the camera to its full resolution? A 4MP camera is fine if you don't plan to print larger than 5 x 7. The 5MP+ cameras will give you more for cropping though. Also, The Rebel is 6MP (or 8MP for the XT) and the pixel quality is much better than the consumer level cameras due to the sensor size.
Old 08-28-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
will a graphics program show the MP of a pic? I've never noticed that option on any program
Old 08-28-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just multiply the dimesions ...
Old 08-28-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the picture quality in a "raw" non-compressed format ? I have a 3mp camera, but all my pictures are below that since it only provides .jpg's that have some compression on them.
Old 08-28-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MP = megapixels
Mb = Megabytes

2048 wide x 1536 tall = 3.1 megapixels

There is no direct correlation between megapixels and file size (Mb) except that when the megapixels increase so will the file size. But from one photo to another, the Mb to MP relationship can vary wildly based on the detail and the colors captured.
Old 08-29-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BigPete
MP = megapixels
Mb = Megabytes

2048 wide x 1536 tall = 3.1 megapixels

There is no direct correlation between megapixels and file size (Mb) except that when the megapixels increase so will the file size. But from one photo to another, the Mb to MP relationship can vary wildly based on the detail and the colors captured.
Shouldn't a picture in a raw format roughly be # megapixels * bit depth + file overhead in a raw photo format? For example, in a 3.1 megapixel camera using 24 bit color, a raw would be 2048x1536x24/8 = 9.44Mb. Depending on the compression level and the picture scene, the compressed format would vary, but the raw format would be constant.
Old 08-29-05, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by BigPete
just multiply the dimesions ...
how accurate is that though?
doing that on my camera only gets 1.22million when it should be 1.3
I imagine with higher resolutions it'd be off by even more
Old 08-29-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UWSarge
Shouldn't a picture in a raw format roughly be # megapixels * bit depth + file overhead in a raw photo format?
Yes. But for some reason, very few consumer-level cameras output raw data - they're almost always JPEG compressed.

- David Stein
Old 08-29-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
how accurate is that though?
doing that on my camera only gets 1.22million when it should be 1.3
I imagine with higher resolutions it'd be off by even more
It's accurate because 1.3MP is the sensor's pixel. Effective pixels in your camera is 1.22MP when it's output to an image file. Just think of the past when they said the monitor is 17" but in reality, it's only 15.5" or 16".
Old 08-29-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by guppie

I understand that a 5MP camera allows for better image printing for larger size prints like 8x10, but I hardly ever print anything over 5x7...

I am going to buy a new digicam (Pentax broken). Does it make any sense for me to buy another 5MP digicam or can I get away with a 4MP digicam? I'm thinking of a 4MP Nikon or 5MP Canon...

Thanks
If you don't print over 5x7 then you'll be fine with a good quality 3 megapixel digicam.

However, if you ever get into post-processing and decide to crop something ... you may wish that you had more megapixels to work with.

Overall, prices have dropped and capability has gone up (usually) so the main thing is to find a camera that feels right, takes nice pictures, priced right etc.
Old 08-29-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think my Sony 4.1 Megapixel does have a setting for raw but I have never messed with it.
Old 08-29-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
I think my Sony 4.1 Megapixel does have a setting for raw but I have never messed with it.
I am 99.99999999999999999% sure you don't have RAW in your Sony.
Old 08-29-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zuffy
I am 99.99999999999999999% sure you don't have RAW in your Sony.
You would be right I was confusing RAW with TIFF.
Old 08-29-05, 10:32 PM

Oh my gosh... I feel so stupid! I guess I already knew the answer, but just didn't think about it too much. For some reason, I was confusing MP=MB, which is completely and totally wrong as someone pointed out!

MY BAD! I will stick with at least 5MP digicam.

Thanks guys.