Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Building a new 'puter, got questions about USB and power supplies.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-27-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm builing a new pc. Here are the parts:

MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail

OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

SAPPHIRE 100595L-BL Radeon X700PRO 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner - Retail

I will probably add in a dvd-rom drive.

I will be reusing two PATA hard drives from my old pc. I plan to add SATA drives later.

I am reusing my Antec case, which I will be modding. It comes with a 300 watt power supply that has been rock solid the last 4 years. I'm thinking about taking it out and putting it in the cheap case I have($30) because I'm sure the power supply that came with it is craptastic. I'll be transferring all my old computer guts to this cheap case. Do I need a more powerful psu? And whether I do or don't, what do you recommend? Especially brandwise.

The motherboard I'm getting has 6 internal USB 2.0 headers. I don't have USB ports on the front of my case so I'm going to do a little modding. I'm going to add in a bay mounted multi-card reader that has two USB ports and one firewire.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16820401501

I want to use the other 4 headers, so I need something I can connect them up to. Unfortunately, I don't know what to search for on Newegg. At least not without getting around 200 items. I guess I'm looking for a kind of USB head unit? I know what I want, I just don't know the name for it/how to find it.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-05, 03:38 PM
X
Administrator

Doesn't your motherboard already have 4 USB ports in the back?

It appears your motherboard comes with (or maybe it's an optional accessory) this that has two USB ports. It will take up a slot opening though.

Here's another one that has 4 ports.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813999551
Old 08-27-05, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by X
Doesn't your motherboard already have 4 USB ports in the back?
Yeah, it has four on the back. I'm wanting to add more to the front. Maybe I'll only need 2(for the front). I am just looking into it.
Old 08-27-05, 04:21 PM
X
Administrator

How about this then?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817801001
Old 08-27-05, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by X
That's definitely more along the lines I was thinking of. Thanks.
Old 08-27-05, 07:16 PM

You've got nice parts. Though if I was recommending on the videocard side of things, I would have advised you to get a 6600GT. However, if you don't play games, the X700 will serve you well.

Do I need a more powerful psu?
Yes, with those parts you need a more powerful power supply. Your old one is four years old and only 300 watts. In fact, it may not even fit your motherboard if it's not 2.0 compatible, meaning having a 24-pin ATX motherboard connector. The newer motherboards have a 4-pin and a 24-pin power connectors. I'm guessing your old supply has a 20-pin connector. Though I can't be sure. Even so, you need a more robust supply. I'd recommend at least 400 watts, or buy the most powerful supply you can afford. By doing so, you give yourself more options for future upgrade.

I like the Antec line. It's one of the best. The better power supplies are very efficient and very stable. They also have dual 12V rails. I think the Antec TruePower 2.0 430W model is great for your setup, or even the TruePower 2.0 480W model. Both can be had for well under $100 online. OCZ supplies are also good, as well as Enermax and Seasonic brands. PC Power & Cooling are also great, but ridiculous overpriced.

Remember, your PC is only as good as it's weak link. A power supply is a key component. If you starve your PC of power, you'll have stability problems, such as crashing.
Old 08-27-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am also in the market for a front bay usb hub (for your search use "usb hub front").

I have been looking at these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817111603

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813999231

As far as power supplies you would probably need more power. I have alwyas liked and used Enermax, Sparkle in the computers I build. My main computer has an Enermax 430W which I have been using for 2-3 years now. Antec is another quality brand. I have been reading alot of good reviews of the Thermaltake as well. The thermaltake appear to be good quality and priced reasonably.
Old 08-28-05, 01:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Alvis
I am reusing my Antec case, which I will be modding. It comes with a 300 watt power supply that has been rock solid the last 4 years. I'm thinking about taking it out and putting it in the cheap case I have($30) because I'm sure the power supply that came with it is craptastic. I'll be transferring all my old computer guts to this cheap case. Do I need a more powerful psu? And whether I do or don't, what do you recommend? Especially brandwise.
These days, I wouldn't get anything less than a 400W PSU. Why? Because even the 400W ones are only $30 or so.

I got no recommendations on brand except to pick a name brand. You generally don't want a knockoff PSU, as you can't be certain of the power coming out of them, and modern hardware seems a might pickier than it used to be about that sort of thing.

I recently built a new machine, and since I loaded the sucker full, I picked up a 680W ThermalTake PSU. It's one of the nicer ones I've seen, but it's a fairly hardcore PSU. You probably don't need that kind of expense.
Old 08-28-05, 08:40 AM

I believe I will be getting this power supply.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/445...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Old 08-28-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Alvis
I believe I will be getting this power supply.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/445...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Why on earth would you want a 500 Watt supply? You certainly don't need it with that system. A typical PSU is about 70% efficient plus they usually generate a lot of noise. I would go for a Seasonic S-12 supply. They are 24 pin, close to 80% efficient across the power range (less heat) and very quiet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2&InnerCata=58

The 430W would be more than enough and the 380W would likely be adequate.

This power supply calculator may help:
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_sup...or.php?cmd=AMD

Seasonics are a bit cheaper here (free shipping):
http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?categr...brand=Seasonic

PSU reviews: http://www.silentpcreview.com/section4.html
Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Easy; 08-28-05 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-28-05, 01:23 PM

A typical PSU is about 70% efficient plus they usually generate a lot of noise.
Well, If you're saying Antec is a typical power supply, I'd have to disagree. Antec is one of the best brands on the market. Not only is it extremely stable but also very efficient. Not to mention it's very quiet. Yes, Seasonic also makes great power supplies as well. So you'll get no argument from me on that.

As for whether he needs a 500W supply with his computer, you're probably right. But if he can buy an Antec SmartPower 500W supply at a mere $70 bucks, I say go for it. It's plenty powerful enough for him to upgrade his hardware in the future, without needing to buy a new supply. Antec's TruePower 2.0 is their top of the line model, but a 500 watt SmartPower is a very good power supply, especially at $70. Plus the cables are neatly sleeved and it's a modular design, which reduces clutter and helps cooling.

Last edited by Terrell; 08-28-05 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-28-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell
Well, If you're saying Antec is a typical power supply, I'd have to disagree. Antec is one of the best brands on the market. Not only is it extremely stable but also very efficient. Not to mention it's very quiet.
Antec supplies aren't bad (I have a truepower 430 in this box) but the older 20 pin models are not especially efficient or quiet. The new Smartpower is much more efficient than the older models. Impressive. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. However, Seasonic is a little better and when it comes to noise Seasonic wins hands down. Just read the reviews at the link provided. I have a Seasonic 380 in my HTPC and it is inaudible.
That said, the OP never stated if noise was a concern. Looking over his other choices I would guess it isn't.

On a slightly different note, quality 20 pin supplies can (usually) be used to power 24 pin mobos IF the vid card gets power directly from the PSU and NOT the PCI-e slot. Might we worth thinking about if you have a quality 20 pin supply and don't want to buy a new one for that new mobo. Naturally, one must be very cautious to get it wired correctly. Otherwise, you could have fried mobo for dinner.
Old 08-28-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recently purchased a Forton Blue 500W PSU because the minimum requirement for my new bord, the DFI Ultra-D is 480W and this PSU is a 24pin and comes well recommended at the DFI website. The cables are already sleeved and everything!
Old 08-28-05, 04:50 PM

The new Smartpower is much more efficient than the older models.
Agreed! He's getting the new model SmartPower from the link he provided. I started to buy a SmartPower 2.0, but instead bought a TruePower 2.0 550W supply. I can't even hear the thing in my pc, and I had to check Asus Probe to see if the fan on it was even spinning. Luckily it was.

I also agree the 2.0 series of Antec supplies are better and quieter than the older model.

However, Seasonic is a little better and when it comes to noise Seasonic wins hands down.
Well, perhaps a bit better than the SmartPower line which is Antec's less expensive model, but debateable as to whether it's better than the TruePower 2.0 models. They're both basically at the same level, which is to say damn good. I just built a new PC with a Seasonic 500W supply. Having said that, it's doubtful he can can buy a Seasonic anywhere near 500W at the price he's getting the Antec. Even the 380W Seasonic may cost him more. As good as Seasonic is, I'd opt for a 500W Antec over a 380W Seasonic based purely on power and price. Then again, I run an AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 and an MSI NX7800GTX. So I need the power.

That said, the OP never stated if noise was a concern. Looking over his other choices I would guess it isn't.
True!

Last edited by Terrell; 08-28-05 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-28-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a couple opf Antec NeoPower 480W's for my main rig and HTPC and they are extremely stable and virtually silent. Sleeved cables, auto case-fan speed controls, modular jacks and create-your-own plug kits.
Old 08-28-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i got a 450 watt coolermaster that has 1 120mm fan instead of 2 80s. i really like it. has sata power connectors and is quiet and does a good job of cooling.

i also just added this to the front of my case (as my old one stopped working)

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...&cpc=SCH&srm=0

with shipping it was 15 bucks and it works like a champ.
Old 08-30-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by matome
I have a couple opf Antec NeoPower 480W's for my main rig and HTPC and they are extremely stable and virtually silent. Sleeved cables, auto case-fan speed controls, modular jacks and create-your-own plug kits.
Both of my main rigs also use the NeoPower 480's - I absolutely love them and they're rock solid. Newest rig in sig.