Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone here ever worked for Best Buy's Geek Squad?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-26-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If so, I got some questions for ya.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't. Just thought you should know.
Old 08-26-05, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I haven't. Just thought you should know.
Thanks, dude!

Actually, I'm wanting to know if they have a manual of standard procedures for spyware removal, etc. I'd like to see it.
Old 08-26-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it wrong to be attracted to the Geek Squad?

Those guys in the pictures are hot
Old 08-27-05, 01:58 AM
Suspended

It just depends on the Geek. The one I know uses Spybot and AdAware, coupled with AVG Free Antivirus.
Old 08-27-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Microsoft Anti-Spyware is the best. It's just a re-branded Giant Anti-Spyware, which is by far the most effective anti-spyware program available. Although a combination of multiple programs is the best spyware-removal approach.

AdAware used to be the gold standard, but it's way, way down on the list now. Spybot is decent, though.
Old 08-27-05, 01:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

How's the company going Alvis?
Old 08-27-05, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
How's the company going Alvis?

Okay. It provides a little extra spending money at this time. I just started a new job doing tech support at an elementary school. Doing this on the side from time to time is nice. Plus, as a side benefit, in my new job I get to troubleshoot all sorts of pc problems. Which I am not allowed to fix, oh well...
Old 08-27-05, 02:03 PM

I recommend Ad-Aware, Spybot, HiJackThis, BitDefender, and Crap Cleaner. Run all of those, and you'll have no spyware, adware, virus, or malware. Use Crap Cleaner to clean out the registry, leftover file folders, and temp files.

AdAware used to be the gold standard, but it's way, way down on the list now.
I disagree. It's a very good program. That's why I recommend using it along with Spybot. What one misses, the other usually gets 99% of the time. I'd never recommend using just one program because they almost always miss something. Microsoft Anti-Spyware is no different. Heck, when the Beta was released it caused problems where it detected Internet Explorer as spyware, and would delete it. Typical Microsoft. Last I heard, it also ignores things like Claria and it's GAIN software because of Microsoft's ignorant insistence on reclassifying it. Claria's GAIN is one of the worst pieces of crap spyware known to man. That in and of itself is enough for me to not use Microsoft's Anti-Spyware.

Last edited by Terrell; 08-27-05 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-27-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure about a 'How to" manual, but SpySweeper is great tool as well

http://www.webroot.com/

and Security Task Manger for more of a manual approach

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/

There is no one tool or procedure that will remove everything.

if I had to build a manual, it would be fairly vague.

Step 1 - Start with one of the major removal tools (many listed here) and go from there (sometimes disconnecting from the internet is helpful, sometimes safe mode is helful, no one size fits all here)

Step 2 - Try a second removal tool or third

Step 3 - Once you have the bulk of the crap removed with the generic tools, you should be able to narrow it down to one or two stubborn ones that are left. (or maybe they are all gone)

Step 4 - Use something like security task manager (or wintasks 5 or one of many other task tools) and manually remove the rest.

Step 5 - if you can get a spyware name or a DLL or something (again this is for the really stubborn ones) google it and see what you can get from others that have blazed the trail before you

If google comes up with specific steps, then follow them and see what happens.

I have also been known to use killbox to kill items in use

Step 6 - use a registry cleaner after all the above is done, and if you know enough about what is safe to delete, delete any install directories that were left behind by removed spyware (before you reg clean)

Last edited by 4KRG; 08-27-05 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-27-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell
What one misses, the other usually gets 99% of the time. I'd never recommend using just one program because they almost always miss something.
I would say that ALL popular spyware removal tools miss way more than 1% run in any combination. I would say the if you could rank the top ten, then pick and run the top 3 on an infected machine, you would still miss up to 25-30% of the spyware that is out there.

NOTHING will hit and remove 99% of spyware aside from a manual search and destroy mission where you delete ANYTHING that is not needed for Windows (or other loaded legitimate software) to operate.
Old 08-27-05, 07:05 PM

NOTHING will hit and remove 99% of spyware
I think you misread me. I agree that no one program will get rid of 99% of spyware. I said what one good program misses, the other will detect 99% of the time. That's assuming you use two good programs. Even that is not always fullproof. I use 3 programs, which includes HiJackThis.
Old 08-27-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sunbelt - maker of counterspy posted an article saying that Microsoft's antispyware program was detecting the Claria spyware, but it recommended that you not remove them. But I don't think that's a big deal because you can still tell it to remove it.

Counterspy worked okay, but I noticed that it tagged one of Sony's Sonicstage dlls as spyware even though it was not spyware. See example.

I personally prefer Spybot, but if I had kids who always downloaded spyware, I probably would stick with the commerical pay programs like CounterSpy, SpySweeper, etc.

HijackThis is good for scanning the usual places where spyware reside at.

Last edited by Ranger; 08-27-05 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-27-05, 07:20 PM

Sunbelt - maker of counterspy posted an article saying that Microsoft's antispyware program was detecting the Claria spyware
It's possible. Originally they reclassified Anti-Spyware to ignore Claria. I was referencing the eWeek article below. Maybe since then they've changed that. Personally, GAIN is spyware through and through and their tactics are shady at best.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1836008,00.asp
Old 08-27-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to this article, using the top two anti-spyware programs together will only get rid of 63% of spyware

Giant AntiSpyware catches 63%, tests say

Howes's tests were conducted before the Microsoft Corp. href="http://WindowsSecrets.com/links/$IDd/b30337h/?u=www.microsoft.com%2Fpresspass%2Fpress%2F2004%2Fdec04%2F12-16GIANTPR.asp">announced
in December that it was purchasing Giant Company Software outright. For that reason, the tests use the version of Giant
AntiSpyware that was available in October and not the newer Microsoft beta
version that's currently available.

Even so, with Giant's application removing 63% of a PC's adware components, and its nearest competitor, Webroot
Spy Sweeper, removing less than 50%, it's clear that Microsoft has a potential winner on its hands.

In the following table, which was reviewed by Howes himself before its publication here,
the Adware Fixed column represents the percentage of critical components successfully removed, not just detected, by each product
(higher percentages are better). The False Positives column
shows the number of benign Windows files that were incorrectly reported by a product as adware
(lower numbers are better):

Product
Adware Fixed

False Pos.

Giant AntiSpyware
63%

Webroot Spy Sweeper
48%

Ad-Aware SE Personal

47%

Pest Patrol
41%

SpywareStormer
35%

Intermute
SpySubtract Pro
34%

PC Tools Spyware Doctor
33%

Spybot Search & Destroy
33%

McAfee AntiSpyware
33%

Xblock X-Cleaner Deluxe
31%

XoftSpy
27%

NoAdware
24%

Aluria Spyware Eliminator
23%

OmniQuad AntiSpy
16%

Spyware COP
15%

SpyHunter
15%

SpyKiller 2005
15%

Last edited by johnglass; 08-27-05 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-27-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you misread me. I agree that no one program will get rid of 99% of spyware. I said what one good program misses, the other will detect 99% of the time. That's assuming you use two good programs. Even that is not always fullproof. I use 3 programs, which includes HiJackThis.

No, I got exactly what you said and I disagree. I even went on to say that if you ran 3 tools one after the other (one more than you are saying to run) you would still only get about 70-75% of spyware. What one misses, the others do NOT catch 99% of the time.

The only way to remove it all is:

1. complete wipe and reload (and with a handful of spyware this is the ONLY solution)

2. a manual search and destroy mission where it is your knowledge of what windows files are needed to run compared to what is actually there (and various tools can assist with this manual assault, there are too many to list).

johnglass - that is a good article, but in the spyware world it is also dated. The raw data is almost a year old and EVERYTHING has evolved since then.

Last edited by 4KRG; 08-27-05 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-27-05, 08:54 PM

Well, we'll just have to disagree then. Then again, other than tracking cookies from time to time, I don't get spyware or adware all that much. Yes, I do manual searches on occasion. I guess it depends on how much spyware and adware you get.
Old 08-27-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, we'll just have to disagree then. Then again, other than tracking cookies from time to time, I don't get spyware or adware all that much. Yes, I do manual searches on occasion. I guess it depends on how much spyware and adware you get.

I am confident in what I say and will be happy to disagree (I have been doing PC related work for a living for roughly 15 years). My personal machine has never been infected with anything (virus or spyware).

Read the article johnglass posted, its a good start in understanding what I mean. If your opinion stems from only working on your own machine, then it makes sense. In the wild wild world of cyber space, there is so much more that goes on.
Old 08-30-05, 12:41 PM

i use these two to help prevent and detect spyware:

spywareblaster
bazooka spyware scanner

these two to get rid of (bazooka can do that also):

adaware
spybot

and avg is used to help keep the viruses out and for the real time protection. i know avg is mediocre but its less of a resource hog than most programs and combined with the other things above, i have not had a problem in a little under a year and a half
Old 08-30-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I use a combination of Ad-Aware, SSnD, Microsoft Antispyware, Spysweeper, and good old fashioned common sense.

You don't really need a "manual for spyware removal" and I would be aghast if I ever had someone work on my PC based on Best Buy's "recommendations" --- the sorts of idiocy I hear from a small but loud % of their employees is beyond logic.

The only real solution is having common sense, or abstinence from doing idiotic things like installing "cool" screensavers, clicking on weird banners and pop-ups, and downloading illegal "cracked" software which half of the time just has viruses anyway.