Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

External USB drive not recognized in WinXP

Old 08-26-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

External USB drive not recognized in WinXP

I have a Maxtor 160gb drive in an external StorTecc case w/power supply. My laptop doesn't recognize it - when it's plugged in, the balloon comes up saying usb device not recognized. Device manager says 'unknown device' under the usb controller. I tried loading a driver (not sure if it even loaded), booting the computer with the drive attached & on, with it off, etc. No help. Tried the jumper on cs enabled and no jumper.

the drive also spins constantly while on.

Details: WinXP Pro, IBM Thinkpad T42, Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 160 gb hd, storetecc pm350-u2 3.5" case.

Any ideas????
Old 08-26-05, 10:44 AM
X
Administrator

I'm getting to really hate USB. I have an external drive that works on some machines, doesn't on others, some devices work well on one machine but others don't work on the same machine, etc. Firewire always works for me and I'm starting to put Firewire cards in computers that don't have it natively.

I assume you have SP2 which may be needed to make USB 2.0 work correctly. I'm not sure if SP1 does this.

I would suggest you uninstall your USB drivers, reboot, then look for drivers from Microsoft using the internet update. Have all USB devices unplugged until you're done.
Old 08-26-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do have SP2. Don't want to mess with things too much as it's my work laptop (networked at the office, at home now).

I did uninstall the USB Root Hub drivers (4 show up in the device manager). When I rebooted, they already had drivers installed. The driver is version 5.1.2600.2180. Is this current? What's the proper way to remove and update usb drivers? (Not sure I did it properly.) How do I use the internet update? Thx....
Old 08-26-05, 12:58 PM
X
Administrator

I think you need to update the individual drivers instead of the root hub drivers. They might say something like "USB Universal Host Controller".

You can look for newer drivers by going into the device manager, look at the properties of a USB, then go into the driver tab and tell it to update the driver. A wizard should come up and it will give you a choice of using Microsoft Windows Update to find the driver.
Old 08-26-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Update: The only update options I get are automatic (local hd search, apparently) or to update from a specific location (which can be selected as either the cd drive or a directory on the hard drive).

Also, I tried hooking it up to a second laptop (Averatec, WinXP home) with the same result.

Query: could it be the external case that isn't working properly? (cheaper than getting a new hd!)

Update: Solved! The problem was indeed with the enclosure. Picked up a new one and it worked off the bat. The StorTecc is junk, apparently.

Last edited by drmoze; 08-26-05 at 06:13 PM.