Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Motorola e815

Old 08-24-05, 04:55 PM

Motorola e815

I'm thinking of picking up the Motorola e815 since I have to travel a decent amount to get to my new job and right now I believe it is free after rebates from Amazon. I understand that the bluetooth is disabled - not necessarily a big deal for me at this time. I've heard that reception is pretty good as is the voice quality of the calls. I'm not sure whether or not it only being digital and not analog concerns me - I'm in RI in case anyone knows and can tell me.

If I do pick it up, is there anything that I should definitely purchase for it? Anything I can get for free - games, etc - although I probably won't be playing all that often.

Also, if you think I should stay away please let me know your recommendations and why. I would probably be looking for something similar.

Thanks.
Old 08-24-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the previous (non Vcast version), the V710. It's a pretty solid phone. Bluetooth isn't totally disabled, but crippled. You can use BT headsets and such, but probably can't sync it up with your car (i.e. BMW, etc, with BT). Although there are hacks out there to fix that, I believe.

You can head over to howardforums for more info than you care to know.
Old 08-26-05, 07:45 PM

I've checked out howardforums a bit. You are definitely right about more info than I care to know - probably doesn't help I can't understand half of it, and that's not entirely due to the fact the technology is beyond my means. Do you have any recommendations for a transflash card? It looks like that is probably the first thing I should get...although I guess I will have to get a reader as well.
Old 08-31-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if there are different brands of transflash cards. I got one off of Amazon. It comes with an adapter to fit into SD slots, so if you have a reader that takes SD cards, you can use it.
Old 08-31-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by griz
I have the previous (non Vcast version), the V710. It's a pretty solid phone. Bluetooth isn't totally disabled, but crippled. You can use BT headsets and such, but probably can't sync it up with your car (i.e. BMW, etc, with BT). Although there are hacks out there to fix that, I believe.

You can head over to howardforums for more info than you care to know.
I have a 05 BMW 330ci and am considering dropping Nextel to get this phone through Amazon. My car is equipped with the bluetooth module, so I have spent some time looking into this phone. From feedback that I found on BMW North America's website and through BimmerFest, this phone is fully functional with the car (i.e. Make/Receive calls, address books, voice dialing, etc.). The Razr V3 also seems to be fully functional as well.

As for the bluetooth and the transflash, it is my understanding that it is crippled so that you have to use Verizon's service to send/receive files and pictures. However, there seems to be some work arounds to enable these features.