Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Monitoring Power Usage?

Old 08-24-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Monitoring Power Usage?

a friend of mine just added 4 very large sata drives and a promise card to an old PIII to use as a backup storage machine..
Im trying to convince him that his power supply is WAY under powered for these drives (micron PIII 667, only a 250w max psu)..
He has it up and running, but I know the max rates of the components have got to exceed 250w.. So Im looking for an app that can accurately measure power usage from within windows, so we can see what it does as a larger load is put on the machine..
I would think something like that has to exist.. but can't seem to find it
Old 08-24-05, 11:20 AM
X
Administrator

I never saw an app that measured amperage (or therefore, wattage). It can't be measured the way voltage is measured at the motherboard, not to mention the wattage being used by the SATA drives wouldn't show up.

A way to see its effect though would be to hook up just one drive, note the voltages on the motherboard, then add the rest of the drives and see if the voltage dips and by how much. That would indicate strain on the PS.