Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How is Gmail at identifying/blocking spam?

Old 08-24-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How is Gmail at identifying/blocking spam?

I'm fed up with my current ISP email, they just suck at identifying/blocking spam (despite all the tv ads they show about how great they are).

So, I'm thinking of switching to gmail. You guys that have used it for a while now, how much (if any) spam ends up in your inbox? Does it do a good job of automatically moving any spam to the Spam folder?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-05, 10:39 AM
Banned

Very little spam gets through Gmail's filter. Maybe one every couple weeks, max. Also, it only very rarely misidentifies an email as spam, and that's always been a newsletter or something else that I signed up for.

It's quite simply the best spam filter I've ever seen in a webmail service.
Old 08-24-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't get any (except for a couple who probably got my email from Monster) since I opened my account until a few days ago. -- I had like 5 (all in my spam box). But it seems to be an anomoly. Nothing since.

A few of my legit emails went to my spam box -- but I think once I listed them as "not spam" they never were in there again.
Old 08-24-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get some but it never goes in the inbox just to the spam box. I wish there was a setting to delete it as soon as it hits.
Old 08-24-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk God

i get a shitload of spam to my spam folder
almost nothing ever makes it past their filter for me
and anything that does, I use the report spam option.. it moves it over to the spam folder, and sends it to google so they can decide if they need to add to their filter.
Old 08-24-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
I get some but it never goes in the inbox just to the spam box. I wish there was a setting to delete it as soon as it hits.
i wish there was an option to select more messages at a time, when Im deleting

i let thousands build up in my spam folder.. and its a pain to go clean it out..

unless Im missing some quick easy trick to do that
Old 08-24-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quite good although I gave Yahoo a slight edge. However recently there's been a few spam that got through both Yahoo and Gmail.
Old 08-24-05, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by twikoff
i wish there was an option to select more messages at a time, when Im deleting

i let thousands build up in my spam folder.. and its a pain to go clean it out..

unless Im missing some quick easy trick to do that
Click the "All" link to checkmark all visible messages. Click the "Delete Forever" button to delete them all. The only slowdown here is that the display only shows 100 messages at a time. But two clicks to delete a screenful of spam ain't too bad.
Old 08-24-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Otto
Click the "All" link to checkmark all visible messages. Click the "Delete Forever" button to delete them all. The only slowdown here is that the display only shows 100 messages at a time. But two clicks to delete a screenful of spam ain't too bad.
well, i keep mine on 50 (not 100)
and yea, i knew about the ALL button

but if I collect up 4000 spam messages before deciding to clean up.. it would be nice to really be able to select ALL, rather than just all from this page....
Old 08-24-05, 11:14 AM
Banned

Why clean up at all? After 30 days, stuff in the Spam folder goes away by itself.
Old 08-24-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk God

meh, i get bored..

but another example...
I am part of some large mailing lists and I have them all filter into specific labels...
of course, it gives me a listing of how many messages are unread..

well, sometimes I fall way behind.. and decide i want to mark all read.. and just read the new stuff to come in.. much easier to keep up that way

so to mark them read.. I have to select all unread on each page, and hit mark as read..

I want a select ALL unread messages from that label.. not just for that one screen
Old 08-24-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the info, sounds good.

Now, how about their POP access? I've set up my gmail account, and set it up to allow POP access, and set up my Eudora to access it, and am not getting great results. I've had it start downloading my mail, then simply freeze up until it times out, and I've had it work fine (downloaded the mail), and I've had it tell me my username or password are incorrect, even though I have those "saved", and know they are not wrong, since I have also had them work.

But, the past couple of times I've tried to access gmail via POP, it has worked.

Is their POP access just slow/flaky?
Old 08-30-05, 01:00 PM
Banned

Gmail is probably the best I have seen so far for blocking spam. Looks like the boys at google have the market cornered on everything almost. The other spam blocker I've used that has been pretty good is Spam Bully http://www.spambully.com/
Old 08-30-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
right after I got my first gmail account I got a ton of spam
that pissed me off as I hadn't, and still haven't, posted that address anywhere or given it out to anyone or used it on any websites
Old 08-30-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by eedoon
Quite good although I gave Yahoo a slight edge. However recently there's been a few spam that got through both Yahoo and Gmail.
I would like to know how you are getting Yahoo! to work better than gmail. I use both, gmail for personal, yahoo for web forms, etailers, etc. I get about 5 spam messages an hour with yahoo in my inbox, another dozen or so in the bulk folder. I specify that they are spam but it never matters. I can get around 3,000 bulk messages a week.

On the gmail side I have gotten maybe 5 spam messages since I signed up a year ago. And they all went directly to the spam folder. This of course is due to only two dozen people having that email address, and not using it on the web.
Old 08-30-05, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mikehunt
right after I got my first gmail account I got a ton of spam
that pissed me off as I hadn't, and still haven't, posted that address anywhere or given it out to anyone or used it on any websites
It wasn't "[email protected]" by any chance? If you use a commonplace joke name, then you get what you get.
Old 08-30-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've just started to get spam more frequently on my gmail account. I suspect some website sold my address. Hmm.. at least they all go to my spam box.
Old 08-30-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by Otto
It wasn't "[email protected]" by any chance? If you use a commonplace joke name, then you get what you get.
nah
it is my real last [email protected]
a name that is pretty uncommon in the US
Old 08-30-05, 09:18 PM
X
Administrator

[email protected]?
Old 08-31-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How much spam do you guys have to get in order to force yourself to get a new e-mail address?
Old 09-02-05, 11:06 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
How much spam do you guys have to get in order to force yourself to get a new e-mail address?
Two years ago, I helped a friend sign up for an hotmail account ([email protected]). Within two hours, she had 35 pieces of spam.

I used to get a new e-mail address every year. Now, I use 3 different e-mail addresses (2 for personal e-mail and 1 for all other web stuff) and I teach people to use bcc, to not forward junk mail, to not sign me up for stuff, etc. That has cut down a lot of spam.

Back to gmail ... I only get about 1 piece of spam mail a month in my gmail account. But I've only had gmail for 4 1/2 months. My yahoo account, which I've had for 6 years, gets about 100 pieces of mail in the Bulk Folder. I click on "empty" next to the Bulk folder about once a day and don't even bother checking inside the Bulk folder anymore. I used to check, but when I didn't get any real mail inside the Bulk folder for over two months, I quit checking. The yahoo one's my "other" e-mail anyway.
Old 09-02-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

thing with hotmail is that you have to go into the option and opt OUT of them sending your email address to people
by default they share it
Old 09-02-05, 12:17 PM
Banned

I've started using the trick where you can specify a special name for each signup on gmail.

Whenever you signup with somebody, like dvdtalk, use the email address of [email protected] Change the bit after the + to be different for each place you sign up with. Gmail still delivers it to you okay, and you can then filter based on the info after the plus if you like. Also, if dvdtalk sells my email to a spammer, I'll know about it.

Although I'm sure spammers filter +info out of messages nowadays. This isn't a gmail specific trick, it'll work with nearly all ISPs, as it's in the RFCs in the first place.

Mainly I use it to sort emails by people from various forums into categories and such. Useful.